MOA Maximum?

6mm

What's everyones first hand experience with the MOA Maximum? I really like the action and design. I tried to search but I kept getting errors. How is the durability and accuracy? My plans for it would be target shooting and deer hunting 500 yards and in. I'm leaning towards the. 260 Remington. Thanks

I have two MOA's. One is a 7BR and also has a 6BR barrel. This was my silhouette pistol with the 10 3/4" 7BR barrel. It shot both cast and jacketed bullets well. The 14" 6BR barrel was for groundhogs. If the target was 300 yds. or less the shot was automatic. Very seldom missed. The second is a .250 Savage. I used this pistol for prairie dogs and deer. It too was very accurate. Groups under 1/2" are common.

Quality wise they are hard to beat. My first was purchased in 1986 and the second in 1992. I have had very few problems with them. If you have a problem, Rich Mertz will give you immediate attention. Thinking back the only problem I had was the wrong firing pin was installed in the .250 I returned the gun to Rich and he fixed it and had it back to me quickly.

One of the things that I like about the MOA is the size. It is a lot smaller than an XP or Striker. The MOA is also lighter. Both of my triggers are around a pound. Go to the web site and look at the options that are now available. MOA has come a long way since I ordered my first gun at the eastern International Silhouette Shoot in Tennessee in 1986. A friend and I ordered pistols together. He went on the win a future International Big Bore Standing event with his MOA 7BR. He switched to the .22 barrel and proceeded to win the International Small Bore event.

Tom

260, 6x47 Lapua, 243AI will all work. 260 hard to beat. Richard will take care of you. Look at MOA guns website. Bring your new MOA to the Cold Turkey shoot in June.

I used one in 6.5x284 and loved it. From 50 yards to 492 it killed everything I wanted it to. They are light and simple, a great all around hunting gun

Thanks for the replies. It sure seems like a quality handgun. I believe I've made up my mind.

I have owned and get to shoot a lot of different handguns in a multitude of designs and calibers. The MOA is one of my favorite hunting guns. I have a .308 Win. with heavy barrel and it is extremely accurate. The action is very strong and the adjustable trigger is an asset.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Summersville; down here in Texas County. You'll like the MOA---ask Carroll Pilant at Sierra. He attends the long range shoot every year in Sundance, WY. If you should ever travel south to my neck of the woods, you're more than welcome to shoot mine.

Thanks for the offer. I'm certainly leaning towards the MOA.

I have or have had MOA's chambered in:
22-250, 22-250AI, 6x47 Lapua, 6mm-284, 6.5x47 Lapua, 260 Rem., 6.5-284, and 7mm Rem Mag Improved.
I have hunted with a 308 Win MOA (not mine).

Hi Ernie. Can you give me your opinion of the MOA chambered in .260 Remington? Looking at a 15" barrel. I'm guessing pretty darn accurate. How was the felt recoil? I feel a brake would be best, but would like your opinion. Thanks

I have four MOA's and several extra barrels. Barrels are fast and easy to change. Triggers are easy to adjust and they are really smooth and crisp. I have a couple barrels that are 15" and they are great. I have some as short a 10". I agree with Ernie that you want the closed bottom break. I recommend break especially if you might ever want to use rifle scope. You have made a good choice in caliber for what you are wanting to do with it. Rich will also help you make some decisions if your not sure. You will see some used come up once-in-a-while. Expect around a 10 month wait if ordering new. They are worth the wait. I don't think you will regret ever getting one. You will probably get addicted and want more. After shooting them it is hard to go back to shooting Encores and Contenders.

MOA Corporation Homepage

Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.