ML suggestions for 16 year old girl?

ducky

My daughter should draw a ML bull tag this year in CO, so we have a few rules to play by. No smokeless powders, no pellets, no optics, and full bore .50 caliber projectiles or larger diameter. I would also prefer her not to use a sidelock rifle, opting for a inline ignition system. To me I'm not worried about traditional, I'm wanting her best chance to drop a bull at 100-150 yards before she graduates high school.

I'm not real experienced with ML rifles, I've only killed a couple does with patches round ball out of a cheap synthetic sidelock rifle. I did upgrade a few years ago to an NEF sidekick, but accuracy has been less than stellar, +3" at 100 from sandbags. I've considerd going to a shorter front post and aperture rear sight trying to improve accuracy, but a new rifle isnt out of the question. I simply chose ML for her due to higher % of elk at that time, longer days, and better weather.

Last edited:
Tuned in for info as well. ML is an area I have a lot to learn but like you mentioned, the higher percentage draw is appealing....

What unit did you apply for?

Call the Walmart in kiowa to see if they have any ml's on closeout still, I bought a CVA Optima v2 for cheap a few years ago.

Then buy bh209 powder and cci magnum 209 primers and a 209 breach plug for the rifle-- if your not against more new technology then mount some sort of non- battery, non magnified sight on it like the "see all open sight" to optimize shooting distances-- mine likes the federal bore-lokt 270gr all copper bullets.
But if you do all that you will **** off the "traditional" ml guys and you'll hear all about how you are cheating the system, but you'll have a better chance of getting your bull .

Btw, rule for sights/optics says "no magnified or electric/lighted optics"-- you can use post style, peep, fiber optic, open style sights etc so the "see all" is legal in co. No battery operated or magnified

Last edited:
Not trying to be a jerk, but I don't like posting my unit info. My group has been hunting the same unit every year for 15 years and it's getting hard to draw tags on. We've been relying on landowners tags to hunt more and more to hunt it every year because of point creep.

Well I'm not near Kiowa to make it worth a drive but I'll check out the CVA rifle, and I have BH209 and 250 Areoflite bullets that we tried it in my ML when we drew a buck tag a couple years ago. I'll look for the primers next time I'm in Pueblo or COS, and I'm thinking I'll try Thor bullets next.

When I was talking optics I was referring to no scopes or red dots, guess I should have been more specific. See All Sights are on my radar as my buddy is very happy with his. He ran his ML out to 225 yards with that sighting system.

Try any of the walmarts for close out prices-- the ones in rural areas will keep them in stock longer than the ones near big cities. You can pick up 209 mag primers at any store with shotgun reloading supplies
I dont care for powerbelts
Thors are good, you used to have to get them the right size for your bore ( I had to custom size to .5005 for my cva bore)-- I think they have a new split skirt "universal" fit one now BUT order them early, they make limited runs and often sell out quick so make sure you buy plenty if you go with them. They are manufactured by barnes.

Good luck

Well, I guess I'll wait to try a CVA. I asked the same questions on another forum, and my daughter got gifted a Kight disk ML for the cost of shipping. I couldn't turn down such a generous offer, so we'll try that ML first.

TC Encore/ Pro hunter, I like the Jim Shockey powder, power belts are the way to go for bullets. The TC has changeable barrels so there is that.

Thor is sending me the sizing kit, I asked about there one size fits all and they asked for my address to send the sizing kit. I should recieve the free ML tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes.

My daughter received her new ML yesterday, I must say the package was quite generous. She got:

Knight Disk Extreme rifle blued barrel with black stock.
1 partial and 5 unopened packages of 250 grain Thor .502 diameter bullets
1 package Federal Trophy Copper B.O.R. Lock 270 grain bullets
1 package Federal Lead Tipped B.O.R. Lock 350 grain bullets
300+ primed disks
3 breech plugs
Tools to prime, deprime disks
Tube of anti seize

This amount of gear was surprising to say the least!

Just a warning on the aperture sights...be cautious. Try them in low light first. I tried some looking to get more precise aiming, but all it took was 5 seconds looking through them in low-light to know that wasn't my answer. Maybe some are better than others, but way too hard to see through well in low light. May have just been me and the set I tried. My experience is if sitting a small meadow, that last 30 minutes is prime-time to see something. If you are on the north side and/or around timber...even darker. I could see "nothing" very precisely :), and very dimly.

Never tried the "see all". In the end, I was pretty happy how accurate I could be out toward 200yd with the dovetail and fiberoptic front - especially for elk size game.

My research led me to Thor and Blackhorn also - and I was impressed. I'm not a ML expert though...just doing something similar to you with a daughter.

I bought the "See All" on a buddies recommendation, or I should say I bought two. I got a Delta Point and a Cross Hair version to try. My buddy is using the on a couple AR rifles and swears by them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.