MK's on bigger animals

Axe1

MK\'s on bigger animals

Anyone taken anything bigger than deer with Matchkings? Just curious because I am a moose and elk hunter and would like to try MK's on the bigger animals. I shoot a .338 Lapua.

Re: MK\'s on bigger animals

I shot a cow Elk with a 300 SMK out of my Lapua. The round blew through both shoulders and splattered blood all over the snow. The Elk was 200 yards away.

this year i took a big mulie[about 325lbs]at 250yds found the bullet in the far shoulder,also took a cow elk[about 400lbs]at 230yds 1st shot broke her spine[purposely to break her down] and exited and second entered front of chest and exited behind shoulder penetrating about 3ft. of elk.both kills were with the 142mk out of my 6.5-284.the 142mk seems to act like a ballistic tip as far as damage goes but it penetrates a little better[at least in my experience].my-2-dave

I've killed three (3) moose with the Matchkings 338cal-300's. I have a picture of one of the recovered matchkings floating around the internet somewhere. All one shot kills, two (2) were in the 440 yard range area (one was 439 and the other just a tad further), the third was about 175 yards.

What would a 300 grainer do on a deer or elk at a velocity of about 3300 like Darryl is getting at about 1000 yards or closer>

What would a 300 grainer do on a deer or elk at a velocity of about 3300 like Darryl is getting at about 1000 yards or closer?

It'd kill it!
wink.gif

As Dave said---It kills them fast.

It blows some tremendous holes in game closer then 1000 yards.

Even at 1050, the deer end up with basketball size holes most times.

We are talking about the 300 gr 338 at 3300 FPS. Anything between 3150 and 3300 FPS is unreal at longrange.

Later
DC
smile.gif

It would Dave, I didn't know that, I thought it would bounce right off because it is so weak.
grin.gif
Sounds cool Darryl, do you or anyone else have any stories about that. You guys just peaked my intrest?
smile.gif

Nighthawk

Killed several elk and deer out west at ranges approaching 1000 yds and extending past 2000 yards with that 300 gr MK.

For the small deer in these PA mountains, and under 1000 yards, lets just say I feel sorry for them when they get hit with it.
I usually try to set up where the ranges "start" at 1000 yards plus, because of the destruction to them.

I have learned,when hunting in PA, if my setup is closer then 1000 yards "to start" with and don't extend to much past 1300 to 1500 yards, I use my 300 Tomahawk instead. Depends on where we go.

When the 338/416 IMP comes out, we are at places that the ranges extend far.

Can't say enough good things about the 300 Sierra MK. and the destruction they provide at the speeds I run them.

Later
DC
smile.gif

I shot a cow elk with a 180gr MK in 2002 at 273 dropped her in her track destroyed the heat and lungs.

I shot about a 450-500 pound trophy Oregon black bear with a 200g SMK out of my .300 RUM. Muzzle velocity was 3200fps and range was about 250 yards. The shot entered behind the shoulder and the bear took a couple steps and was dead. The internal damage was amazing. The bullet did not exit and the bullet weighed 40 grains. Not to good for weight retention, but the trophy bear didn't know the difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.