MK5 HD Tracking test

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25294

I got my MK5 HD 5-25x56 PR-1 MOA mounted up this weekend, and did a tall target tracking test.
I screwed a few strips of plywood to a tree and marked 10 MOA increments from 20 up to 50 MOA.
I messed up the vertical black line so you'll see a red chalk line from a "plum bob" level.
I shot the test at 100 yards from a bipod with my 6.5 SAUM, pretty consistent grouping with every group around .3
my zero group was about .15 high (which is about how all the other groups landed), one shot is hard to see in the black.
RTZ shot was a little low, my hands were getting cold and it was almost dark..
Anyway the tracking was pretty **** spot on, with the 50 MOA group being off the most at 1/4 MOA
I'm very impressed with this scope, it has the best eye box I've seen, turrets are extremely tactile and crisp, and the glass is fantastic, really dig the PR-1 MOA reticle as well.
Hope this is useful to someone
IMG_20190121_163641764 - Edited.jpg
IMG_20190121_163648547 (1) - Edited (1).jpg
IMG_20190121_163656934 - Edited.jpg
IMG_20190121_163957002 - Edited.jpg
IMG_20190121_163835260 - Edited.jpg

IMG_20190120_112816009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to here I have been to busy to put my mil version threw the paces,but hope to soon.Its mounted and bored

How did you perform the test? Did you shoot all groups 3 at a time, adjust, 3 shots, adjust, etc?

How did you perform the test? Did you shoot all groups 3 at a time, adjust, 3 shots, adjust, etc?
I shot 2 at a time, adjusted, and waited 5 minutes between groups. It's a light profile barrel so I didn't want it heating up and shifting poi.
I mounted the mk5 on my saum for testing before it goes on my future 300 Norma

That's how you build confidence in your equipment !
What does the rig weigh in at ?

How did you accurately measure 100 yds?

I did a tall target test this past weekend and am thinking the distance between my shooting position to the target was less than 100 yds.

That's how you build confidence in your equipment !
What does the rig weigh in at ?
That Rifle is my ultralight and weighs 5.8 lbs bare, as seen in the picture it weighs 7.9.
I'm going to put a lighter 18 power scope on there at some point, I've been shuffling my optics lately..

How did you accurately measure 100 yds?

I did a tall target test this past weekend and am thinking the distance between my shooting position to the target was less than 100 yds.
I used a rangefinder, and the true distance was actually 96 yards.
Whatever your range you can set up correctly by multiplying the distance by 1.047 then dividing by 100 for moa to inches.

Wildcat stock? Looks nice, very light! Building a 6.5 saum off my Tikka mag at the moment, 26" hells canyon Light hunter barrel, looking for lightweight stock ideas.

Wildcat stock? Looks nice, very light! Building a 6.5 saum off my Tikka mag at the moment, 26" hells canyon Light hunter barrel, looking for lightweight stock ideas.
It's an MPI, I actually ordered a wildcat for another TIkka so I'm hoping to get it in a few weeks. Way cheaper than the MPI blank.
FYI If you're doing a Saum you can sand the inside of a factory TIkka LA magnum magazine to feed smoothly.
I did it with a dremel and it worked really good.

Since I don't stand in front of, or behind the gun, when using the rangefinder, I guess you could say I do.......
So where the scope is to the 100y/m line is more important then where the muzzle is and has more impact on the where the bullet trajectory is controlled in relation to zeroing?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.