Mixing small lots of powder?

I have a 1100 grains of H1000 in one can, and 3400 grains in another. Which will load roughly 60 shells at 72.5g from my 7-300 win mag. I need to load a batch of 50 shells up. What say you about putting it in a bowl and mixing it all together? Yay or nay? I worked up a super accurate load with the one can that had little over 1/2#...I have a 1000 yard shoot saturday and need to load up 50 shells, so that lies my dilemma. I am going to hit the range at least once, if not twice to see what it's going to do before I head out saturday to the 1K shoot. I need to start buying 8# kegs of this $hitt...I realize I'll probably have to fine tune a couple few tenths of a grain here or there, that's why I'm going to hit the range a couple times before I head out. Just wanted to hear some of your guys thoughts anyway.

I am not a 1000 yard shooter, and.....I don't shoot enough so do not have the need to purchase powder 8 pounds at a time; more like a 300 yard shooter. I have been reloading for many years and I do strive for the best groups that I can develop from all of the cartridges that I shoot; and...usually will do just that. I reload for a .270 AI, do not get the 3 shot groups that you have photos on due to the lighter barrel, but will consistently get two shot overlaps at 300 yards (Alliant Reloader 19); and I don't take lot numbers into consideration when I purchase powder because today I am glad to find it! I go from one pound can to one pound can of powder, lot numbers have been all over the place, never issues with this process. Especially with the shortages of components today, unless the purchase is like 24 pounds at a time so the same lot numbers can be had, I think it is almost impossible/unrealistic to try to keep the load/powders with the same lot number. If I were you I would mix the powders and enjoy the shoot on Saturday. Perhaps some day I may be recanting this posting, however presently this is my position on lot numbers or mixing powders; good luck with your shoot.

I have a 1100 grains of H1000 in one can, and 3400 grains in another. Which will load roughly 60 shells at 72.5g from my 7-300 win mag. I need to load a batch of 50 shells up. What say you about putting it in a bowl and mixing it all together? Yay or nay? I worked up a super accurate load with the one can that had little over 1/2#...I have a 1000 yard shoot saturday and need to load up 50 shells, so that lies my dilemma. I am going to hit the range at least once, if not twice to see what it's going to do before I head out saturday to the 1K shoot. I need to start buying 8# kegs of this $hitt...I realize I'll probably have to fine tune a couple few tenths of a grain here or there, that's why I'm going to hit the range a couple times before I head out. Just wanted to hear some of your guys thoughts anyway.

actually I had 4 pounds of H-1000 that had been stored in the garage for about four years (gulf coast area) it had dropped 90 FPS. I mixed that with the additional 6 pounds I had in the house thoroughly to make up basically one lot then shot for velocity and accuracy I think it took it up by .5 grains.

seems to work fine, now store in air conditioned space.

So I got to my 1K range this morning and the wind was blowing 20-25 mph...I though WTH, I'm already out here, might as well shoot 3 and see what happens. I loaded up 72 and 72.5. So this is the result of the 72g load, after mixing and its .5g less than what I had worked up. The CB shot was the one off to the right, the next 2 landed within 2" of each other. I didnt even shoot the 72.5 load. I'll come back in the morning and get an earlier start, hopefully beat the wind this time. Still, I think Im pretty happy with it. I didnt bring my cronograph either, so no velocity numbers, just said F it. But I'll take the 5.5" group at 1K with 2" vertical anyday, especially in 20-25 mph winds.
Snapchat-1556142079.jpg

I have mixed cans of IMR-4831 several times in the past. Come to think of it I've done it with RL-26 and IMR-7828SSC also. I've never had any issues but I'm also not shooting 1000yds. I'm limited at my range to 300yds.

Sometimes we make situations more complicated than necessary. Why deal with trying to get perfect homogeneity in a mixed lot? In a bowl, you probably won't. That will probably cause as much variation and uncertainty as having two powder lots. Do you have the DOPE from both powder cans? How much does it vary? You need 3,625.00gr for the 50 rounds. You are short 225gr....4 rounds worth. Load the 45-46 rounds from the 3400gr can. Load the 15 rounds from the 1100gr can. Shoot a couple rounds from each lot to re-confirm DOPE if you must. Use the 4+ rounds from the small lot loads on a specific segment of the match. Not that difficult to keep those 4 rounds separated from the large lot if there is any significant deviation in DOPE.

I have been mixing lot numbers of powders for ages. Never had an issue with it.
One of my standard procedures if I have several 1 lb tins, but different lot #s, is
to pour them all into one larger container, mix well and then develop a load to
use.
Your mixed H1000 should be just fine. Mix it up, test a few rounds, and go hit
that 1000 yard range. :)

Looks like mixing powder isnt that bad after all. I think either 72 or 72.5 is going to work just fine. Going to hit the range up again in the morning and get there a little earlier this time to beat the wind. Shoot 3 more at 72 and 3 at 72.5.

I'd think you're fine but I would check it out for a few shots first. Maybe down load a few rounds then work back to "normal" charge weight. Better to be safe than sorry. I doubt the velocity would go up rather than down but you just never know.

Trimmed the video enough to fully upload, but still wont let me post the video due to being an mp4 format, and I have no idea how to change the format, so unless someone has an easy fix for that, guess I'll be the only one looking at my videos :( Dont know what difference mp4 makes, plays on every smartphone I know of. Uploaded to FB just fine.
Screenshot_20200722-102430_Chrome.jpg

I would load 50 rounds of the new powder you have a lot extra and I would use the new loads for the shoot if you don't do it that way you're gonna run into two different lots of powder I wouldn't mix them together either because it's going to give you a different load out

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.