Mistake?

Red Sparky

I was watching Western Extreme due to insomnia. It was the winter range mule deer hunt. I normally enjoy watching Western Extreme and I understand that you film the hunt and then film fill in video to make up for the amount of airtime a program takes.

I was amazed to see Jim put his bow down into the snow sight first. Has anybody done this by mistake? I usually try to keep anything from hitting my sight. Then they show him blowing the snow out and using his finger to clear the sight. How likely is it to throw your sight off.

Then he takes a range with his rangefinder. The optics look clear but where I think the laser comes out is completely covered by snow. He then puts a perfect shot on a mule deer buck that drops right there.

So do you think if you actually did this on a hunt would it effect your sight at all? Also if you did it in order and not as fill in video would you feel comfortable taking a shot?

My old site - no way. I know have a Black Gold site and its a tank but I still wouldnt intentionally do that but I have yet to have a reason to not trust my site. I live in MN and hunt in the snow and I have had snow in my site and cleared it out and have been lucky to get a shot and connected right where I was aiming. I am not sure I would call it a mistake but I would consider it to be avoided if possible. It just happens some times.

I agree. It just seems like there are things they miss in these shows. I get tired of rifle hunts with the hunter behind the guide sneaking up and the barrel is pointed right at the back of the person in front of them. I know this was fill in video of the sight being put in the snow and then cleaned out. It seems like it would be a good teaching point to cover as they should be teaching all of us. I wonder how many would not even think of the sight being shifted by this. Seems like it would have been a good point to cover on the show.

I agree. I used to watch that show but have drifted away. I get bored easily! I always seem to be either all in on waterfowl or deer, gun or bow, who knows. It seems I am circling back away from archery and wanting to get into long range hunting. I guess to some there is no challenge. To me, the opposite. I am getting bored with the close shots with rifle. I think taking on the long range stuff is more of a challenge at the shot instead of just putting the cross hairs on and pulling the trigger. It is fun to challenge ones skills. I still love bowhunting but more because I can spend more time in the woods than anything.

I live in Mt and have bow hunted for 40 years. I shoot muti pins with shroud,carry bow craddled in body.Grab string and my site is about even with limb pockets,ste my bow down site first thousands of times,been on horse back,bounced in boats no problem.I do use a site that sits in dovetail and slided off for horsepack ,then slide on for hunt.No problems have to watch peep snow up is main thing.Shoot over 100 animals with bow,Jim hunts over 300 days a year, think he is at something like 75 elk.He shoots more game in year than most in life,he is at 3-4 elk a year.His skills put lots of rifle hunters to shame.I watched him do a 90 yrd follow up shot and pin wheel.

sp6x6---I agree that Jim knows what he is doing and is a heck of a shot. Hence the reason I watch. Seems like it could have been covered that he uses X sight and knows it will stay on even with the oops of setting it down in snow. Maybe the show could have covered to check sight if you have time. Sometimes the best make mistakes. Not saying Jim did as it appears to be fill in footage I am talking about.

Strutnut---Seems like life is a circle. I started hunting and got tired of shooting deer 500 yards with my rifle. I wanted to get closer so I muzzle loader hunted for about 20 years. I killed many deer under 100 yards and most under 50, but when I got an elk at 200 yards with the muzzle loader I wanted to get closer. I got into bow hunting. More chance to hunt during the rut with a bow. I never gave up shooting rifles long range, and there is a lot of skill in it but for my hunting style right now I get the thrill of being close. I would drop an animal at long range if given the chance. Just seems like my hunting choice is not back there yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.