Missouri Public Land Help

Boydo

I am looking for information on public land turkey hunting in Missouri. My father and I have historically hunted together on our lease in Illinois, but outfitters got it and now we have nothing. We are looking at Missouri for this springs turkey season. I have looked at the Missouri Dept of conservation website and looked at the areas and just don't know how to decide. The Mark Twain National Forest looks huge and I think I could get away from people in there. Can anyone give us some information? It can be in a PM if you don't want to post publicly. We will be using shotguns, leaving the bows at home for this one. We just want to go somewhere with good bird numbers and HOPEFULLY get away from other people if its possible. Thanks in advance

This will be year 26 for me hunting Missouri as a non resident. Have camped and hunted In and on the Mark Twain. Yes it is a very big place with lost of hills and hollows. The turkey numbers have started a slow comeback, and along with that the number of hunters have also increased. Places where I could walk to get away from others has almost vanished. We hunt the first 10 days of the season and always have some other hunters around. Don't let this keep you from going and having a good time. Just be prepared to not be alone. And remember the Tick spray.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.