Missouri Hog Down

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48126

I went hunting with a local guide named Mr. Richard Wade. He is a great, friendly, older gentleman who just does it for fun and to get out of the house since he's retired. This is my 4th hunt with him in central Missouri. I am 3 out of 4 on his hunts, so its pretty exciting. He normally uses dogs to trap the hog and we shoot it or get it with a knife. I wanted a little more relaxing hunt this time, so I decided to hunt by myself on his property. It was a 1,000 acres with a mix of farmland, Missouri hardwoods, and the Roubidoux Creek. I thought stalking was appropriate for the day so I wandered the woods starting at 0900. I walked the outer boundaries of the property trying to find where the major hog trails were. Well there was sign everywhere so it didn't help me narrow my search at all! I walked do into the field, and I could see across the river were there was fresh, tilled up dirt. It was so fresh that you can see the steam coming off of the wet dirt from the sun. I decided to set up in the field and watch across the river to see if anything would come. I sat for an hour, by then it was 2:30 pm, and then all of sudden it sounded like a freight train was coming through the woods. That's when I saw 20 hogs!! 20 big hogs and then tons of little piglets everywhere! I watched them for about 2 mins and waited to for biggest hog to step out. I finally saw him and took the shot with my S&W MP 15 with a Nikon P223 3x9x40 AR optic. It was about a 50 yard broad side shot right in the boiler room. It was a big hog so he kind of limped forward, and I shot again since I didn't have much faith in my little .223. I hit him high in the back at about a 45 degree angle away from me. I was so excited that I crossed the river, about waist deep, in 40 degree weather!! The adrenaline was really pumping. There was blood everywhere so I knew it was a good shot. I tracked him about 75 yards and there he laid. The .223 55 grain federal fusions did the trick. The day was perfect. I walked the woods, enjoyed the beautiful weather, got a pig, got wet, toughed it out, and brought him to the butcher. Couldn't be happier. It was a boar that weighed 130lbs gutted! This is my 5th hog ever and the biggest one to date! gun)

Attachments

• Beautiful View.jpg
    Beautiful View.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Field.jpg
    Field.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 121
  • River.jpg
    River.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Hog 1.jpg
    Hog 1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Hog 2.jpg
    Hog 2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Hog 3.jpg
    Hog 3.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 114
Also, that's not what I was wearing when I was hunting. I was in head to toe camos. I was drenched in sweat from dragging it out of the woods, even in the 40 degree weather. I have nothing but respect for the guys who do backpack hunts for elk and have to pack their meat out.

Some nice hogs there!. Glad to see someone filling in when the only thing djones can post is excuses....

There is something about being out alone, and having a good day, that just seems to recharge the batteries for a couple weeks.

Keep it up and keep posting pictures. Got to get them Hogs under control before they all get elected to the Government! OH! It's Too late?

Packrat

sorry for bringing this to your doorstep, but surely you must have known something like this might happen.

pak,
you're about to get me in trouble. i was in the process of photo shopping a packrat into 300's truck bed when my boss peeked over my cubicle wall and tapped his watch, asking where his tps reports were.

Awww Geee, really sorry about that....ROFL....oooppppsss...that kind of slipped out!

Actually it took longer than I expected from the time I called him!

Packrat

tps report?....Toilet Paper Supply Report ? A subject near and dear to my heart after my encounter with Homeland Security!....:)

Packrat.

Sadly, no more photos. I was trying to enjoy the hunt instead of snapping a bunch. I'll bring a combat photographer next time though. :D

OK, I was just looking for a distraction from djones anyway and he seems to have flown the coop. Not that he turned Chicken or anything when I challenged him to take a hog with a machete over on the "In the ear?. Really??" post. Come to think of it, he's always crowing about his exploits....Hmmmm. Well, they probably need the eggs.

Anyway, you DO need to take a combat photographer with you next time, but could you spice it up a little and let a hog chase you up a tree or something just to keep the viewers interested? I mean, this Hog crowd is a rough crowd to satisfy. Even when djones took down 2 of the biggest hogs I've seen in a long time and they didn't even comment!

Anyway, thanks for coming back, after all it is your post, and we'll welcome you back any time!.........:D

Packrat
Mouse.gif

Packrat, I saw djones hogs! Holy crap, they are monsters. I thought mine was big.

Yeah, and no one made a comment about them....Told you this was a rough crowd! That thread has over 17,000 views and if you take mine a djones posts away, not more than probably 8 people have posted on it. Only reason I keep posting is to keep the thread active....and well, to hassle djones a little bit!

Anyway, keep hunting and post some pictures. We always like to see pictures of hogs down!

Packrat

I think you are talking about the hogs on page 40 or so?...If not go look at them. I once saw a 900 Pound domestic hog and it was huge, but I figure those two had to go about 350 lbs - 450 lbs each.

Anyway nice enough to impress Coy Franks, and he don't impress easy.

Packrat

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.