Missouri Breaks Montana outfitter

drpbroun5

Does anyone know of an outfitter(s) that do LRH type hunts in this area? Please send contact info for any. Thanks.

Merry Christmas!

Paul

Thanks, Len. What is the hunting like? How big are the elk? I am a trophy hunter thus am looking for an elk that will score in the mid 300s or better. I will appreciate any info that you can give. Thanks.

Merry Christmas!

Paul

Paul Broun
706-255-3905
[email protected]

Does anyone know of an outfitter(s) that do LRH type hunts in this area? Please send contact info for any. Thanks.

Merry Christmas!

Paul

The biggest problem you will face is getting a permit as the majority of the river breaks areas for elk are by draw and have very low percent of drawing success. Us locals face about a 3% chance of drawing and I'm not sure what the non resident % of draw is. I would look at Wyoming before trying to draw a Mt. breaks tag and then hope for a 300 class bull.

Thanks, Cowboy. I am really looking for a trophy class bull. I have passed up bulls in the 290 to 300 inch catagory. I would like to have one 330+ but really would like one even bigger. I'll keep trying and looking. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Paul

Check out the Eastman's Hunting Journal. Their most recent issue covers the best trophy areas in the Rocky Mountain states with the draw odds. There is also a special draw in Wyoming. You pay twice the price but increase your odds for one of the "Blue Chip" areas. Good luck.

Gordon

Thanks, Gordon. I will subscribe. Which issue has all that info on drawings? Do they have the same on sheep, goats, buffalo, moose, deer and elk as well?

Paul

If your really serious about a 350 class bull then I'd recommend talking to Carter's Hunter Services. Their website is huntinfool.com .
They know all the top area's and work with the top outfitters. membership is $100.00 but if you want big critters than its money well spent. Those guys are great to talk to.
Getting a tag is the tuff part. If you dont have points built up to draw then best bets might be New Mexico or Utah where you can hunt with a landowners voucher for a little cash. On a fair chase hunt there are no sure things on getting a big one but some hunts at least offer a sportin chance.
Occasionally a huge bull will be taken on a general tag in Wyoming in the wilderness area's but a 350 " is the exception to the rule. In 07 I got a 360" on one of those hunts but mostly bulls run from 300 - 320
Another option if you have cash is buying a Wyoming Commisioners License where you can bypass the draw system for a permit. Those normally go for 8-10K and may be a tax deduction because they benefit non- profit orgs.
Hope this helps:)

Thanks, Gordon. I will subscribe. Which issue has all that info on drawings? Do they have the same on sheep, goats, buffalo, moose, deer and elk as well?

Paul

Every issue covers just a few species and states in detail with an emphasis on finding a trophy. As a subscriber you get all the MRS's for every mountain state and species from their web site. If you are in a hurry to get the info you may have to call them to get your code to log in on the MRS section. Yes they cover sheep, goats, antelope, moose, deer, and elk. I haven't seen anything on buffalo though.

Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts