Misfires

devildogg

I have a 6x47 lapua that is built on a 700 Remington action. And starting about midway through last winter I started getting misfires. And they are starting to become more frequent. I have pulled my bolt apart and cleaned the firing pin and inside the bolt body to make sure that nothing is gummy. Everything is cleaned and a light coating of oil. My primers are seated properly. The only thing I can think of would be a new firing pin can anybody give me some ideas? The primers I use in the rifle are cci450 small rifle.

Re: Misfires

first off try a box of factory ammo, if they work then you have a batch of contaminated primers, if they are contaminated write a note to the company with the lot number and where you got them from. They really do want to know if anyone is having issues with their product.
Then if you are still having misfires a trip to the smith is in order

DD, if the factory ammo misfires and your primers are OK, try Googling Gre'-Tan Rifles. They will install a firing pin bushing on your bolt and turn the pin. Returned to you dialed in, takes about 4-8 weeks. Had one done for a friend's Weatherby Vanguard, it shoots flawlessly now. Hope it's the primer thing, cheaper fix. Good luck

Take the bolt apart pull the spring off the pin and check the amount of protrusion may have worn down the face of the pin no big deal to turn it back and get proper amount good luck

I would suggest two things since finding Factory loads in your caliber could be difficult.

1- Re-clean your firing pin, and DON'T put any oil on it (oil could slow down the forward momentum).

2- Try a different brand of primers. Might be your primers are contaminated, or too hard. Used to be that CCI were very hard compared to WW or Fed. AT least in small pistol primers anyway.

Can you post a picture of the fired case showing the primer so we can see how deep the impression is?

Everything is clean and decreased I still get a misfire. On the misfired rounds there doesn't seem to b a very big indentation on the primer. It's hard to tell what it should actually look like the fired rounds are slightly cratered so I'm not sure what I should look for. I did go on to midway and ordered a whole new firing pin assembly they had one on clearance with a yellowish gold colored schroud for $39 so I figured wth I'll try that.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.