Minimum Terminal Velocity Hornady SST

Anyone got reviews of the SST as a long range bullet. The 150 grain .30 out of Superformance 308 is at 1800 FPS at 550 yards and groups nicely out of my Tikka. I might hunt with it.

Anyone got reviews of the SST as a long range bullet. The 150 grain .30 out of Superformance 308 is at 1800 FPS and groups nicely out of my Tikka. I might hunt with it.

Its a great bullet, not the highest BC but it just plain and simple kills fast when you do your part, up close and at longer distances. I've also shot a couple of deer up close also and the bullet will go through the shoulder and exit on the other side and turn the lungs to jello, and everyone likes jello.

On my 7mm-08 I'm at 1,800 fps at 594 yds, it has worked great every time and has not disappointed. With IMR-4064 I'm just under 2,800 fps muzzle velocity and I am currently trying RL17 so I can push it faster, maybe get to 2,900 fps.

Stay safe.

Lots of good info here on real world performance. Dont sleep on the amax or eld as a long range bullet. However with a 308 past 600 you better have a good wind call.

Here you go, directly from the source ...

Hornady bullet expansion velocity.JPG

Killed a whitetail last year 30-06 150gr sst superformance factory at 80 yards. Through the scapula and exploded inside chest cavity. No exit. Killed the deer but to me they are a more fragile bullet than other options.

Last edited:
Killed a whitetail last year 30-06 150gr sst superformance factory at 80 yards. Through the scapula and exploded inside chest cavity. No exit. Killed the deer but to me they are a more fragile bullet than other options.

On the 30-06 the 165gr SST is a better option, or even the 180gr. On larger cartridges heavier SST's work best. Example:
7mm-08 with thw 139gr
280 Rem with thw 154gr
7mm Rem Mag with the 162gr

This way you don't experience bullet fragmentation at close range, and you'll get full penetration.

This guy on youtube "Simple Minded Fella" has done a bunch of testing of bullets into gel at both high speed and low speed. Many have done high speed but not so many at low speed. I've seen where he done some Hornady SST in multiple calibers, plus a lot of others bullets in different calibers.
Simple Minded Fella on youtube

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts