Minimum Terminal Velocity Hornady SST

LVJ76

LRH Team Member
1,800 fps for SST bullets is what Hornady told me and I have killed a couple of deer just shy of 500 yds with the 139gr SST out of my 7mm-08, bullet impact velocity for both was around 1,950 fps, both DRT kills one right behind the shoulder and the other got a little bit of the shoulder.

Stay safe

General RE LEE

Anyone got reviews of the SST as a long range bullet. The 150 grain .30 out of Superformance 308 is at 1800 FPS at 550 yards and groups nicely out of my Tikka. I might hunt with it.

LVJ76

LRH Team Member
Anyone got reviews of the SST as a long range bullet. The 150 grain .30 out of Superformance 308 is at 1800 FPS and groups nicely out of my Tikka. I might hunt with it.
Its a great bullet, not the highest BC but it just plain and simple kills fast when you do your part, up close and at longer distances. I've also shot a couple of deer up close also and the bullet will go through the shoulder and exit on the other side and turn the lungs to jello, and everyone likes jello.

On my 7mm-08 I'm at 1,800 fps at 594 yds, it has worked great every time and has not disappointed. With IMR-4064 I'm just under 2,800 fps muzzle velocity and I am currently trying RL17 so I can push it faster, maybe get to 2,900 fps.

Stay safe.

willfrye027

Killed a whitetail last year 30-06 150gr sst superformance factory at 80 yards. Through the scapula and exploded inside chest cavity. No exit. Killed the deer but to me they are a more fragile bullet than other options.

Last edited:

LVJ76

LRH Team Member
Killed a whitetail last year 30-06 150gr sst superformance factory at 80 yards. Through the scapula and exploded inside chest cavity. No exit. Killed the deer but to me they are a more fragile bullet than other options.
On the 30-06 the 165gr SST is a better option, or even the 180gr. On larger cartridges heavier SST's work best. Example:
7mm-08 with thw 139gr
280 Rem with thw 154gr
7mm Rem Mag with the 162gr

This way you don't experience bullet fragmentation at close range, and you'll get full penetration.

claybreaker

This guy on youtube "Simple Minded Fella" has done a bunch of testing of bullets into gel at both high speed and low speed. Many have done high speed but not so many at low speed. I've seen where he done some Hornady SST in multiple calibers, plus a lot of others bullets in different calibers.
Simple Minded Fella on youtube

Trending threads

Recent Posts