Minimum Suggested Powders to Have for ALL classic Cartridges

the "60% reduced load" ability of the h4895 , covers alot from 17 hornet through 50 browning machine gun

if you go to hodgdon rifle data and pick , 300 Winchester magnum then dont check a bullet weight, check hodgdon powders , then check h4895 only .... leave hodgdon an h4895 checked but change the cartridge from 300 winchester magnum to " something into the drop down list" ... it will amaze you how versatile it is
I only have a couple of pounds and have yet to use it; good to know.

The 4350 powders will work for all three.I think a powder that is a little slower would be better for the 7mag if your shooting 160gr bullets.I'm liking Ramshot Hunter.The burn rate is about the same as IMR4831 and will work in all three as well.The bigger bore 338 Win Mag seems to work well with powders in this burn rate too.

Sako 300 WM.jpg

IMR4350 was my go to for me 12 twist 300WBY.
I loaded some 338WIN MAG with IMR4350 and IMR4831 (225 SST) but have not shot them yet

Adhering to all the parameters of the original post for rifle cartridges... H4895, H4350, and H4831 for all cartridges using full-power (non-cast bullet) loads from .223 through .300 Win.

If I had to choose powder(s) that would work in most of the older "classic" calibers it would be IMR 4895, IMR 4350 and or IMR 4064, for handguns it would be Unique, Bullseye and maybe WSF, for shotguns it would be WSF, Lil Gun (for the .410), and Herco, all three of these could be used in some handguns, I use Lil Gun in the 22 Hornet, and in my 3 choices for handguns, Unique can also be used for shotgun loads, barring any exotic calibers these will all work very well.

I am asking myself why do I continue to buy all the different powders I come across. These days I seem to buy a pound of everything I see available. This is not an efficient way to go about reloading. I've got probably 10+ powders I've never reloaded with in my cabinet. I have to stop my fear of missing out approach. Thanks for helping me deal with my issue.

I would Say H4350 is best most versatile powder. H4831 is a close 2nd. H4831 has always been my standby by that I keep in stock, haven't met a gun that didn't like it yet.

IMR-4064, 4895 and 4350 is what I always kept in stock. IMR-4350 got replaced by H4350, RL16 and RL17. And H4895 will eventually replace the IMR version.And Varget will provably replace 4064.

For the magnum cartridges RL23 and IMR-7977 replaced IMR-7828 and IMR-4350.
Hard to just keep one powder in stock, that would make me loose some sleep LOL.

I am asking myself why do I continue to buy all the different powders I come across. These days I seem to buy a pound of everything I see available. This is not an efficient way to go about reloading. I've got probably 10+ powders I've never reloaded with in my cabinet. I have to stop my fear of missing out approach. Thanks for helping me deal with my issue.
I feel your pain! I have 3 dozen different powders and to satisfy my FOMO I would need 3 dozen more...that is why I started this thread

Hard to just keep one powder in stock, that would make me loose some sleep LOL.
These last 3 crisis, I have had powder, and good amounts, but only stocked on 2 kinds each time. I just chambered accordingly.
The present one I have RL 16 and H4895, I just run what I brung. Good for 4 yrs.
2016 I had IMR 7977 and VV N550.

I use mostly H, 4350, 4831SC, H1000, and Varget powders for rifles. Some other Is IMR4064, & MRP for pistols, and shotguns. The reason for the H powders it they are stable, and temperatures don't cause any real problem. Down load this attachment. It will give you info on temperature extremes.

Attachments

• EXTREME RIFLE POWDERS.pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 66