Minimum Scope?

littletoes

What power would folks here consider the minimun power for 600 to 1000 yards? for targets, varmints, deer? Just wondering everyones input.

I know many people use 10x, however I prefer 32+ for pinpoint work out to a few hundred meters and around 15-25x for farther shots. It depends a lot on mirage and the quality of glass.

I have a 3.5-10x40 on my 416wby for out to around 1000yds. I consider it OK to about 500yds on 10x for target work and fairly difficult beyond 700yds. To identify and hold a consistant point of aim becomes the problem with normal size targets. How close can you hold to your aimpint at 1000yds with just 10X?

I think 10x is minimum for deer at the stated 600-1000yd range. I hunt moose and think it's minimum for them but it sees close range work also.....bear in the bush.

For Me--- 8 1/2X to 25X Leupold Longrange with side wheel focus and 30MM tube, for all around shooting at targets and hunting.

Best of all worlds.

Later
Darryl Cassel

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts