Minimum Impact Velocities for Partitions and Accubonds

QuietHunter

A friend of mine is a big Nosler fan and has some pretty impressive groups using 30 cal 165 partitions. I was trying to consider the long range applications for such a load, but was wondering how well a partition would expand at the lower velocities.
Does anyone have any experience using a 165 partition at longer ranges or with impact velocities 1600 - 1800 fps?

On a similar train of thought, how well does the 200 gr Accubond expand at similar velocities? I know it is designed to stay together and perform well at higher velocities, but if launched at 2700 fps, how well would it do further out?

The 165 partition at 1600 to 1800fps would expand just fine. Remember that the front end is built the same as any conventional bullet so will expand at moderate impact speeds.

I wouldn't use the Accubond simply because at those launching speeds, its tough contruction is just not warranted. Unless you are planing on impact speeds approaching 2800fps or shooting very large game from any angle at closer ranges, that really is "too much" bullet.

I would recommend the SST, BT, MK, or any other conventional hunting bullet. In mid weights for a cal, these types of bullets launched at 2700fps or slower, have had complete success on game for almost 100years.

Jerry

According to Nosler, the plastic tip on the Accubond bullet initiates expansion at lower velocities. Not really any differnt than a B-Tip, or SST bullet. However, the Accubond has a bonded core and a heavier jacket so that it will not come apart at high impact velocities. It retains weight better and penetrates deeper.
It may be the best of both worlds, flies like a B-Tip and penetrates like a partition. By the end of this hunting season I would expect to see a lot of first hand results with this bullet.
I'll be one of those experimenters.
VH

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.