Minimum Eyerelief for 338RUM?

jcpython357

What do you guys feel is the Min. ER needed in your scopes for the 338 and other such hard kickers? Thanks, Jay

[ 03-04-2004: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]

LDO

i would agree-at least 3 1/2 ins.to 4ins.especially if you arent using a brake[as we are not]-dave

Dr. John

this all depends on your shooting style. if standing shooting then 3-1/2 to 4 would be fine. but, if off the bench, you really need to concentrate on where your face is in relation to the scope. I had a 458win mag with a leupold 1-4x. never got it in the forehead if shot standing. but I would usually end up with a bleeding forehead when I shot it from the bench. the leupold 2-7 has a very long relief (now on my 458 win mag custom) and the 6.5-20 varX-III also has a long relief (on my 300 rum sendero)

kidcoltoutlaw

when i first got my 50 bmg i talked to a top shooter about that. im talking about bench or prone shooting here.he said pull your head back till most of the scope blacks out but you can still see the bull.it works and a good thing to no scope has enough E.R. for the 50 it's not a hard kick but it is a lot of movement. it also works with the 338 rum and the other hard kickers,thanks,keith

JustC

Jay,..I ordered the 3-12x44 sig select for my 338RUM project (I call it frankenstein). That rig is supposed to have around 4" of eye releif on high power,..and that is where I like to set em
I did however have a KDF threaded on the end,..you know,..just for insurance
I'll post a pic when I get'er done. Wthby MK V action, rem 700 s/s 26" barrel, borden stock,.etc. (hence the name,..Frankenstein)

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce