Minimum Eyerelief for 338RUM?

jcpython357

What do you guys feel is the Min. ER needed in your scopes for the 338 and other such hard kickers? Thanks, Jay

[ 03-04-2004: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]

i would agree-at least 3 1/2 ins.to 4ins.especially if you arent using a brake[as we are not]-dave

this all depends on your shooting style. if standing shooting then 3-1/2 to 4 would be fine. but, if off the bench, you really need to concentrate on where your face is in relation to the scope. I had a 458win mag with a leupold 1-4x. never got it in the forehead if shot standing. but I would usually end up with a bleeding forehead when I shot it from the bench. the leupold 2-7 has a very long relief (now on my 458 win mag custom) and the 6.5-20 varX-III also has a long relief (on my 300 rum sendero)

when i first got my 50 bmg i talked to a top shooter about that. im talking about bench or prone shooting here.he said pull your head back till most of the scope blacks out but you can still see the bull.it works and a good thing to no scope has enough E.R. for the 50 it's not a hard kick but it is a lot of movement. it also works with the 338 rum and the other hard kickers,thanks,keith

Jay,..I ordered the 3-12x44 sig select for my 338RUM project (I call it frankenstein). That rig is supposed to have around 4" of eye releif on high power,..and that is where I like to set em
cool.gif
I did however have a KDF threaded on the end,..you know,..just for insurance
grin.gif
I'll post a pic when I get'er done. Wthby MK V action, rem 700 s/s 26" barrel, borden stock,.etc. (hence the name,..Frankenstein)
shocked.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.