Minimizing devices in the field

No, Coreolis at 1000 at maximum E/W directions for the latitudes I hunt(40 or so), has less then a couple of inches at 1000 yards. sin drift is s simple .5MOA left correction if shooting past 700 yards. I only use the Kestra either hunting or for PRS if I need to check wind speed. Either the G7 or Sig 2400 is perfect for PRS! IMO
Good suggestion. Usually I know my ranges where I hunt pretty well unless shooting across open wheatfields so that's the only time generally I even carry a range finder.

Several years ago I used the Geovid for my ranging device, but now use a dedicated Baliistic RF. While I still use the Geovids for glassing and occasional ranging, I prefer the G7(or Sig 2400) ballistic RF's having found myself separating the glassing/finding function from the shot preparation function. For the shot prep I'm now on the scope and find the RF can be quickly and easily braced against the rifle/scope while prone for a quick and solid rest as I prepare for the shot. More often then not, the animal is moving about, requiring range checks. For me, a binocular is awkward from a rifle ready position.

Hi Greyfox, I spoke to you on the phone this last summer concerning this thread and your experience with the KILO 2440 vs the G7. I know you said you used the G7 more and was going to assess the Kilo going forward, curious if you had more field time with the KILO, thoughts? I'm still leaning towards the Kilo due to the fact that it's slightly more precise with coriolis feature.
Thanks
Joden

Hi Joden, Just got back from hunting in Wyoming where I brought both RFs and had a good opportunity to use them in a variety of conditions an numerous deer and antelope. Got another hunt coming up in Alberta in a few weeks where I will do the same.. I'd like to respond when I return. Art

Hi Joden, Just got back from hunting in Wyoming where I brought both RFs and had a good opportunity to use them in a variety of conditions an numerous deer and antelope. Got another hunt coming up in Alberta in a few weeks where I will do the same.. I'd like to respond when I return. Art

Looking forward to it!

On my elk hunt two weeks ago I spent about 90% of my time hunting with my binoculars pressed to my face. I can't imagine keeping a rifle shouldered looking through the scope for eight hours a day.

Whatever works for you I guess.

On my elk hunt two weeks ago I spent about 90% of my time hunting with my binoculars pressed to my face. I can't imagine keeping a rifle shouldered looking through the scope for eight hours a day.

Whatever works for you I guess.
I've just never relied on them other than from the truck. My rangefinder is an 8x binocular style Leupold, my scopes are 3-18x50, 4-24x52, or 4.5-14x50 for the most part.

I do my spotting with my eyes and if I see something interesting only then do I go to glass, it's must less strain on the eyes that way.

WildRose,

My hunting buddy can see bucks at a mile and sort of determine if the antlers are good at a mile. He can use 7X binoculars to judge antlers at two miles so he doesn't use binoculars also. Are your eyes like that?

In his country get caught using your rifle scope as binos your likely to cause a confrontation, I know of one guy who was killed and one that lost his left arm and eye from guy using their rifle scope for glassing.

WildRose,

My hunting buddy can see bucks at a mile and sort of determine if the antlers are good at a mile. He can use 7X binoculars to judge antlers at two miles so he doesn't use binoculars also. Are your eyes like that?
I wouldn't say they are that good but I can spot a 200lbs pig in the edge of a wheatfield working in and out of the grass at over a half mile and generally tell without putting glass on it if it's a boar or sow.

My eyes were one of the traits that made me pretty popular in the service. Doing what we did for a living it came in handy. I spend pretty much every day spotting game though and have for most of my life when I wasn't in the service so there's probably more training and practice involved than talent.

You look for that which doesn't belong, seems out of place, and for movement and your brain fills in the rest.

I could not hunt without my binos either. Out west, we glass huge expanses of land for a peek at a bedded animal. Might only see an ear, antler tip, legs, etc.

I can pick out a whole animal, or rump, or head a long way out there, easily a mile on a deer/antelope/elk, but it is not as common that you see an entire animal in the pines or Junipers. You might see them out in the sage or desert, but they are usually moving which helps a lot too.

I also just returned from an elk hunt, and in 26 days of scouting and 1 day of hunting, I probably had 250 hours or more behind binoculars. I think it is just a different style of hunting out west where we can do that. I bet it would be hard to do in thick tree covered mountains or flat terrain.

I use my Shooter on my cell phone for my ballistic firing solution, but I also figure out beforehand what approximate elevation and conditions I will be hunting and print out a drop chart and tape it to my riflescope. Out to 800 or so it is usually spot on. I carry a Leica 1600B and a Kestral 4500 too. Rangefinder for range, atmospheric, temp, and look angle. Kestral for wind if needed for long shots. But Inreally try to limit shots on game if possible. The longest shot anyone in my family has taken on big game has been a mere 662 yards. 637, 488, 432, and the rest have all been under 200 for a ton of deer and elk. But we shoot a lot at ranges far exceeding 1000 yards. Usually from 1200 to 1771 in preparation.

I could not hunt without my binos either. Out west, we glass huge expanses of land for a peek at a bedded animal. Might only see an ear, antler tip, legs, etc.

I can pick out a whole animal, or rump, or head a long way out there, easily a mile on a deer/antelope/elk, but it is not as common that you see an entire animal in the pines or Junipers. You might see them out in the sage or desert, but they are usually moving which helps a lot too.

I also just returned from an elk hunt, and in 26 days of scouting and 1 day of hunting, I probably had 250 hours or more behind binoculars. I think it is just a different style of hunting out west where we can do that. I bet it would be hard to do in thick tree covered mountains or flat terrain.

I use my Shooter on my cell phone for my ballistic firing solution, but I also figure out beforehand what approximate elevation and conditions I will be hunting and print out a drop chart and tape it to my riflescope. Out to 800 or so it is usually spot on. I carry a Leica 1600B and a Kestral 4500 too. Rangefinder for range, atmospheric, temp, and look angle. Kestral for wind if needed for long shots. But Inreally try to limit shots on game if possible. The longest shot anyone in my family has taken on big game has been a mere 662 yards. 637, 488, 432, and the rest have all been under 200 for a ton of deer and elk. But we shoot a lot at ranges far exceeding 1000 yards. Usually from 1200 to 1771 in preparation.

OFF SUBJECT EVERYONE, find something more productive to do with your time

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.