Minimizing Damage to Coyotes With 300 RUM

Troutslayer

I want to blast some coyotes with my 300RUM. I really like 200 gr Accubonds going about 2950 at the muzzle. I assume that these bullets are going to all but blow them in half, am I right? What might I try to load up to minimize pelt damage?

My guess is that with the RUM you don't even need to hit them.....Just hit NEAR them and scare em to death!!!!:D

No pelt damage....maybe a little messy at the rear end though. Should wash right off. Mayby a touch of Freebreaze for odor control.

Hi Troutslayer -

I don't mean to be antagonistic, but "minimizing damage to Coyotes with 300 RUM" is sorta counter-intuitive to me.

That's kinda like having a nitrous-oxide burning V10 on your lawn mower - just enough horsepower to get the job done with maybe a little extra. Maybe.

Otherwise, maybe use a .243 with high SD bullets or something similar?!? :D

Sorry - i couldn't resist...

Well you know the "beware of the guy who only has one rifle, he probably knows how to use it" thing? I am that guy, sure I have other guns but none are as accurate nor do they sport good glass. I don't have a coyote specific weapon and I don't really want to buy one. Aren't there some match bullets that will bore right through without expanding? Report coming because I will shoot them with the 200 ABs if I don't get any promising leads from you guys.

You must be downloading those 200 AB's for only getting 2950?

Mark

Yeah. I am getting superb accuracy at a lower node. Figure it will save a little barrel life, now I must ask myself why exactly I am burning 30% more powder to do what I could do with other cartridges? I know why- because I want to rechamber to EDGE as soon as finances allow. Anyway, got a link to those bullets you suggest?

Well you know the "beware of the guy who only has one rifle, he probably knows how to use it" thing? I am that guy, sure I have other guns but none are as accurate nor do they sport good glass. I don't have a coyote specific weapon and I don't really want to buy one. Aren't there some match bullets that will bore right through without expanding? Report coming because I will shoot them with the 200 ABs if I don't get any promising leads from you guys.

Have you ever thought of using a full metal jacket, it would zip right through them Yotes don't seem to hard to kill so I don't think you would have to worry about expansion. Just a thought......

Bigbuck

Yotes don't seem to hard to kill?

All the yotes I've killed have proven to be one of the toughest little critters on earth! I've tumbled a 12 ga deer slug through many coyotes and had them run off to die later. One ripped down the ribs opening a nice little 6"wide by 12" long hole down its back and it still managed to run 100 yards! I've seen yotes legs nearly removed with a 243 and the sucker lived for days running around with that leg just a floppin!

Just daying coyotes don't just fall over dead and give up. If you don't put a lot of retained energy into them they will and can go along ways. And pin whole punching them with a FMJ is sure medicine to looseing them.

The domestic monometals would be the Nosler E-Tips, Hornady GMX's and Barnes TSX/TTSX's.

GS makes some more spendy ones, but not sure you want to spend the $$$ on them for coyote hunting?

They do have a non-expanding solid variety that will leave a very small hole.

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - SP LONG RANGE BULLETS

Lehigh also makes a similar bullet but their smallest is .338 cal

to go to a lighter bullet your going to gain velocity and you sure don't want to do that if your trying to save pelts. Lighter and faster on small game is much more destructive than bigger and slower.

Would your rifling handle a 240 smk?

Being a non-expanding solid, I dont see them doing a lot of hide damage?

Those things die hard. I once shot a yote from just over 100y with a ballistic tip from my .22-250. When it didn't fall and didn't run I proceeded to shoot it three more times before it finally fell over. Shure enough, I found three massive exit wounds in him. Of course it was so mange ridden that there was very little hair left on him. gun)

Bruce Willis could take lessons from them things.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts