Minimizing Damage to Coyotes With 300 RUM

For what it is worth I whacked a coyote right from my house with a .300 Winchester pushing 200 grain Accubonds @ 2990, shot was right at 500 yards and it put a nice 1" hole right through it. Sure was pretty to watch that bullet hit through the scope!

Being a non-expanding solid, I dont see them doing a lot of hide damage?

I see your point, but according to Berger's information it is the speed that does the cavitation and much of the damage. Though I have limited experience, I believe there is much validity to this.

I would give you current selection a go, if it blows you know if it don't start thinning coyotes.
I used my Berger hunting load last season out of my 270 WSM on coyotes and they don't blow em at all, mostly just punch through.
A coyote is so thin that hunting bullets just get started to open by the time there through. Drop the AccuBomb on them :D

I see your point, but according to Berger's information it is the speed that does the cavitation and much of the damage. Though I have limited experience, I believe there is much validity to this.

I have zero experience in using solids or harvesting hides, but my undrstanding is that more velocity does produce more cavitation depending on the frontal area. I dont think a stable solid spitzer will do a whole lot of damage, especially to the hide. Just my take.

If I was going to make a load just for taking coyote hides, I would be using those Barnes solids.

Since i've got my juvenile joking outta the way, i'll attempt a more serious response....

I think you're spot on having a 1-gun battery - though if resources allow, it's also nice to have the 'just-right-cartridge' for each game/range intended.

As some of the more knowlegeable shooters have recommended, i'd also suggest a mono-metal bullet. I'd look first at the Barnes "Tipped TSX" in a medium-for-caliber weight. Thinking the 168gr or 180gr loaded lite would do the job for you.

Linky:
Tipped TSX Bullet | Barnes Bullets

Maybe ask Barnes what minimum velocities are required for expansion on these so you can calc what distance/velocity/powder charge you will need (and balancing it all with an accurate load) to achieve that.

My reasoning is *hopefully* consistent with your good idea with down-loading your RUM to prolong barrel-life and allowing you to reach effective expansion velocity without over-expansion/pelt-damage.

I believe the comments other posters have made RE: the resiliency of the yotes so the Barnes Tipped TSX could very well provide that nice balance.

A coyote was the first animal I shot when I had my 300 RUM built. at the time I was shooting 200 accubonds at 3100 fps. I shot the coyote at approximately 200 yards and it was absolutely devistating. It literally went through the front and ripped the right rear leg off. To say something about thier toughness, it was still alive by the time I walked over to it. It was almost dead but I finished it with a pistol. Needless to say the pelt was a shredded. that is the only experience I have shooting yotes with a RUM but my opinion is dont bother to try to save the pelts if you insist on using a rum.

I understand the "one gun" thing but is it really worth trying different bullets, powders, and re-zeroing for each. no thanks. Go buy a 204, 223 or 22-250 you will be much happier.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.