Mini 14 Target Rifle?

Autorotate19

Anyone have any experience with the ruger mini 14 target rifles? They look pretty cool. Any info appreciated.

I agree; they look pretty nice. Actually the first version that they floated out there, with a laminate stock reminiscent of a McM A5 looked *really* sweet.

Unfortunately, the Mini 14 platform doesn't have a very good reputation for accuracy. Skinny barrels of a questionable twist rate handicapped them for years, and even now when they have most of those issues sorted out... I'm not sure how consistent a gun with the barrel set up like that is going to be with the gas block touching the stock, etc. Most reports I've seen on 'accurized' Mini-14 rifles weren't much better than a stock AR-15 clone... and no where near what an AR with a good custom barrel, etc. could do. I haven't shot any of the new ones, so this may all have changed...?

Got to agree with milanuk here, in a big way. "Ruger Target Rifle" is an oxymoron. Their reputation for accuracy is poor, they're not used for any serious form of competition, and their few forays into the competitive world have been disasterous. They made the rifles for the 1992 US Palma team, and LITERALLY couldn't give them away. The deal was, any of the US team members who shot the rifles in the match could keep them, free of charge. I think there was one team member who actually shot the rifle. The rest shot their own Palma rifles or LR guns and gave the Rugers back.

You don't mention what sort of competition you're talking about here, but if a semi-auto 223 is competitive (or 6.5 Grendel, or any of several others that will run through an AR), go with the AR format. You'll be money ahead in the long run.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.