Minam Unit backpack elk hunting advice

JLDavid

Some friends of mine are thinking about backpacking into the Minam Unit 2nd season for elk. We do not have pack animals so this will be an all on foot indeavor. Has anyone tried this before? Any information you would share concerning gear, where did you go into the wilderness, what elevation range did you target? Not looking for an area to hunt, just general information. Any help is appreciated.

David

I do not hunt in the wilderness... but I can talk to elevation in the Rocky Mountain areas. The key to where the elk are is how far down is the snow. Elk leave an area when they have to dig for food through the snow (generally). However there are no absolutes hunting... like people elk will do things to avoid hunters in season, and they know when hunting season starts, (not just rifle).

Thanks. We have hunted the Heppner unit for years and weather/pressure is a huge factor there as well. We generally do not have snow 1st season, some snow in 2nd and most every year during late cow season. I have never backpack hunted in this unit because I have private ground to hunt on. We have started putting in for tougher tags to draw for future hunts that will require us to gear up to spike out. I went on a 3 day 27 mile hunt through the Eagle Caps this last year. Taught me a lot about packing a pack!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.