Milligan Brand in New Mexico

John Burns

If you are interested in hunting with an outfitter with lots of long range experience you should check out Ray Milligan's outfit in Chama NM.

Ray and some of his guides have been using our system for years now and have a bunch of real world experience. They usually have a shooting seminar the day before the hunt and you can try your hand on the target range with your own rifle or one of the Greybull systems Ray has in camp.

Ray has a few rules on long range shooting:

1. Don't shoot beyond your proven capabilities and you get a chance to demo those capabilities at the range.
2. If you wound a bull that is the end of your hunt so be very sure of your shot

Ray hunts private ground with landowner tags so there is no draw. I think he still has some tags left for this year.

Milligan Brand - Elk, Deer, and Bear Hunts using rifle, muzzleloader and/or bow

Has anyone else here ever been to the Milligan Brand outfit? Dad and I are looking at a hunt there and would appreciate some first hand experience.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I know nothing of them, but they have an interesting service for those of us who look for quality hunts when the draws aren't productive.

The one thing that does not look good for them, IMO is the fact that their photo gallery has not been updated since 2008!

Have they not taken any respectable animals since then?
or do they simply neglect to deep their website updated for us?

Either way, it doesn't promote a warm fuzzy to the guy looking to possibly spend that kind of $.

Just an observation...

Knowing them and their reputation, I think they are too busy killing big elk and making their hunters extremely satisfied.

I'm sure you're right Len, and along with John's good word in their favor, that's surely enough for most of us.

My brief view of their website convinced me that they were not only serious about what they do, but also had that all important love of it as to appreciate the opportunity to live the life.

Maybe they'll soon update the photo gallery so the average guy can see what they've helped their clients to take for the last couple of years.

We ended up hunting with them December 8 through 12. Unfortunately the elk were almost nonexistent, success was 3 hunters out of 16 for the week of our hunt, and Ray admitted this was their worst season ever as the success ratio this fall was very poor for most of the hunts. Usually there is lots of snow in December pushing elk and instead we had sunny 50 degree days that forced the elk to stay in the timber and never come out. I never saw a bull, nor did 4 of the 6 in our camp. The 5th didn't have a shot (too far, elk moving) and the 6th was a young kid who missed one.

A disappointing hunt, for sure.

Met a couple of great guys though that we hope to join with for a future hunt. That was definitely the highlight of the week.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts