Millett on Hunting Scopes

MightyMach

DISCLAIMER:

If you have had a millett and had no problems with it, great!

The purpose of this post is to save EVERYONE the aggravation of dealing with a junk product from a junk company. The first scope I bought from Millett happened to be an alright scope; my buddy (JRD) thought the glass was comparable to his Mark IV and at 300 for the scope, it was a good deal.

The scope lasted about half way through my deer hunting trip and then my target turret lock broke and would not lock. ***?

I get home, send in that scope (on my dime) and get a new one. I take it to the range and 10 rounds later I still cannot hit paper. ***? Take it to the gun smith to get it bore sighted. The scope will not adjust left to right.

I send the scope in, this time on their dime. I take the scope to the same shop and was told the scope would not adjust any further down and was 30" + high at 100 yards. Mind you this is the SAME SCOPE, RINGS, AND BASE as before and ALL were MILLETT brand. I am starting to think this shop does not know their head from their *** and so I took it to another shop (see my next thread) and was told it would hit paper.

6 rounds later, no paper. Three scopes, none of them would last, two of them straight from the factory.

Like I said, if you have one that works, good for you. If not, save yourself the hassle and DO NOT buy a millett.

Scope was a 4-16 Illuminated Reticle on a 300 RUM.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. I guess that totally discredits the two Millet 6X25X56 Varmint scopes I have, that have worked flawlessly and track back to zero time and time again.

By the way both have been on my 7MM STW and now one sets on my .270 as well. So i guess by my statement then I have had twice as good of luck with my Millet scopes and therefore everyone should run out and bye only Millet?

Probably not, but it seemed a logical step from your original comments. This is not the top of the line $800-$1000 scopes, but for most non magnum and lighter recoiling rifles I believe they are a good value and should not be discredited on just the one unfortunate experience. Yes a lot of the older generation scopes were junk and they even have a notice on their web site warning about junk counterfeit scopes that are on the market now.

Just curious what did you upgrade to BSA, Tasco??

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. I guess that totally discredits the two Millet 6X25X56 Varmint scopes I have, that have worked flawlessly and track back to zero time and time again.

By the way both have been on my 7MM STW and now one sets on my .270 as well. So i guess by my statement then I have had twice as good of luck with my Millet scopes and therefore everyone should run out and bye only Millet?

Probably not, but it seemed a logical step from your original comments. This is not the top of the line $800-$1000 scopes, but for most non magnum and lighter recoiling rifles I believe they are a good value and should not be discredited on just the one unfortunate experience. Yes a lot of the older generation scopes were junk and they even have a notice on their web site warning about junk counterfeit scopes that are on the market now.

Just curious what did you upgrade to BSA, Tasco??

Hey, if you feel completely confident shooting on a millett, that's great. I have lost the faith. If I take the time off of work to get a shot at a deer, elk, whatever, I would certainly like to KNOW and not HOPE that my scope is on. Out of the box my third one did not work. The second one after 10 shots was broke (who knows if this one even worked out of the box either?). The first one the target turret lock broke during a hunt.

I would really hope to think that 10 rounds (even through a magnum rifle) would not break the internals of a scope...and if it does, how many through your STW before it is no longer accurate (or broke)?

While a Tasco may be an improvement (at least you know you're getting a ***) I opted for the new Bushnell 6500 elite coming out. Already ordered it through Cabelas...now I just get to wait it out...

Ohh yea, I'm not the only one with bad luck, do a search on Millett even here ;) I'm not so sure you've had twice the good luck I have had...You've had two good to my three bad. Moreover, I've got to believe that this ought to count for three unfortunate experiences, not just one.

I bought the scopes from a Millett rep, so unless he's milking the system, they're not counterfeits.

Tell ya what, I've got 2 non functioning scopes....I'll sell you and you can get them replaced. 500 for the pair sound fair enough?

I've got my fingers crossed, but I did when I bought the scope. I've had 5 NC Stars and 3 of them broke or were bad out of the box. I don't have much confidence in the 2 that are left. I bought a Millet 4 x 16 x 56 non-illuminated from Academy about 3 mos ago (for $199) and have shot two sessions at the range with it on a 12 lb 7mm-08. Gathers light much better than I expected, is clear out to the edge of the glass, has a reasonable window at 16X, and held a couple of 1/4 moa groups. I haven't squared a box yet, so can't be sure of tracking accuracy. The moves I did make were where they should be tho, so there's a chance it's O.K.

Quality control has been a major problem with the Chinese scopes, so I've never expected much from them, and try to avoid buying them. Doesn't matter how good the warranty is if you keep on having to use it over and over, or if it ruins a trip.

The only scopes I have that I completely trust are Leupolds and Burris's. Also, they are the only scopes I put on hard kickers. I learned the hard way not to use the Chinese scopes on them.

I was needing a scope and couldn't afford another VX III at the time. So far I'm off to a good start with this one, but we'll see if it holds up.

Good luck, Tom

DISCLAIMER:

If you have had a millett and had no problems with it, great!

The purpose of this post is to save EVERYONE the aggravation of dealing with a junk product from a junk company. The first scope I bought from Millett happened to be an alright scope; my buddy (JRD) thought the glass was comparable to his Mark IV and at 300 for the scope, it was a good deal.

The scope lasted about half way through my deer hunting trip and then my target turret lock broke and would not lock. ***?

I get home, send in that scope (on my dime) and get a new one. I take it to the range and 10 rounds later I still cannot hit paper. ***? Take it to the gun smith to get it bore sighted. The scope will not adjust left to right.

I send the scope in, this time on their dime. I take the scope to the same shop and was told the scope would not adjust any further down and was 30" + high at 100 yards. Mind you this is the SAME SCOPE, RINGS, AND BASE as before and ALL were MILLETT brand. I am starting to think this shop does not know their head from their *** and so I took it to another shop (see my next thread) and was told it would hit paper.

6 rounds later, no paper. Three scopes, none of them would last, two of them straight from the factory.

Like I said, if you have one that works, good for you. If not, save yourself the hassle and DO NOT buy a millett.

Scope was a 4-16 Illuminated Reticle on a 300 RUM.

same thing here millett is one 100% junk save your money and get something else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, if you feel completely confident shooting on a millett, that's great. I have lost the faith. If I take the time off of work to get a shot at a deer, elk, whatever, I would certainly like to KNOW and not HOPE that my scope is on. Out of the box my third one did not work. The second one after 10 shots was broke (who knows if this one even worked out of the box either?). The first one the target turret lock broke during a hunt.

I would really hope to think that 10 rounds (even through a magnum rifle) would not break the internals of a scope...and if it does, how many through your STW before it is no longer accurate (or broke)?

While a Tasco may be an improvement (at least you know you're getting a ***) I opted for the new Bushnell 6500 elite coming out. Already ordered it through Cabelas...now I just get to wait it out...

Ohh yea, I'm not the only one with bad luck, do a search on Millett even here ;) I'm not so sure you've had twice the good luck I have had...You've had two good to my three bad. Moreover, I've got to believe that this ought to count for three unfortunate experiences, not just one.

I bought the scopes from a Millett rep, so unless he's milking the system, they're not counterfeits.

Tell ya what, I've got 2 non functioning scopes....I'll sell you and you can get them replaced. 500 for the pair sound fair enough?

Nope!

well, did the quality improve with the merger and the next generation of scopes? Are they worthwhile - expecially the LRS models?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.