Millett LRS or Zeiss Conquest Or Bushnell Elite or ? Shots 600-1000yds

dariuszczyszczon

gun)I am in a dilema. I just ordered a new Savage Model 116FHSAK 7mm Rem Mag and planning on using some Berger Bullets from the Hunting Shak (Fast and accurate Bullets up to 1000yds) or custom loads from BEST of The West . But need a scope and dont know which one that will work. I am looking at the Zeiss Conquest Riflescope, 6.5-20x and Millett LRS-1 6-25X56MM Model BK81007 or BUSHNELL Elite 4200 6-24x50 Scope w/Mil Dot Reticle (426245T) Whats is your opinions or any other sugestions? I know that Millett has a lifetime Warrenty My Budget is around a $1000.00 My main use is going on a goat hunt this year In are G17 in colorado.

Of those that you listed I would go with the Zeiss Conquest. I have one, 6.5x20x50 on my .300 ultra mag sendero. I am VERY happy with it.

Also dont count out Leupold. I have four of their VX III models. Been using them for 15 years and VERY happy with them as well.

I have also tried cheaper less expensive optics over the years. Get what'cha pay for here.

That Bushnell 4200 tactical 6-24 is a very nice scope for about $550 or so, AND it comes with a 1 year unconditional warranty, dislike it for any reason get money back. Full lifetime warranty afterwards. Also it has enough elavation adjustment to get you out to 1000. But I still get tapered bases. Friend of mine owns one and its just as clear as my Mark 4 LRT 8.5x25. You also get sunshade with it if that matters. Check out Bushnells 6500 series tactical, 4-30 power magnification is pretty sweet.. SORRY missed the part about goat hunting, the scopes listed above are on the heavy side. Leupold Mark 2 tactical is almost half the wieght(less strenght most likely) and cant comment on the scopes performance. IF wieght matter to you I dont know.

Well if you are not concerned about weight there are a number of good choices. I have a Conquest 6.5x20 on one of my hunting rigs and I love it but it wouldn't be my first choice goat hunting. If you are worried about weight you should give the Leupold Mark 2 a look. You get a ruggid lighter scope with the options of reliable target turrets and mil dot and as a plus the turrets are short and covered, might not seem like much but hiking in goat country or pulling you rifle in and out of a horse scabboard, they are a nice option.

The type of scope and chosen magnification has more to do with the kind of shooting you will do than the range you will be shooting. If all you are doing is target shooting, field of view is less important. If you are hunting then field of view is very important. If you have quality glass, 10x is enough magnification out to 1000 yards and still have a descent field of view. A variable power scope will allow you to back down magnification at closer ranges. I will forgo recommending a brand name because my opinion is no better or worse than anyone else. Just make sure you get the best glass you can afford.

Put my vote in for the Zeiss. I have a Conquest 6.5x20 on my .257 Wby and it is great. in my opinion it is the best bang for your buck you can get in rifle scopes. Dontpokethebear was right on, it isnt light. However you find me a a scope of that magnification, that clarity, quality and lightweight under $1K and I will be amazed.

Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm with mil-dot reticle. 30 mm tube. Cost ~ $750. Better glass than Zeiss Conquest. Weight = 21.9 oz. I know of no better glass for less than $1000.

I'll be getting another one myself shortly.

Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm with mil-dot reticle. 30 mm tube. Cost ~ $750. Better glass than Zeiss Conquest. Weight = 21.9 oz. I know of no better glass for less than $1000.

I'll be getting another one myself shortly.

I finally order the 8-32 SIII from Kevin.

For those that don't know phorwath did a review of the Zeiss, Sightron and an IOR all of which he owns.

For $1000 range, Horus Vision is what I am getting. I ordered the hawk model, the optics on it were better than the leupolds vx-3, but the hawk model has the fixed 100 yard parralax. Sent it back and ordered (currently under delivery) the raptor with their ASLI with the mount ring onto the scope for a total of $1009. This raptor scope will let any flat shooting loads go easily 1000 yards plus just using the reticle at max power (16x).

There grid reticle, front focal plane and high quality optic made me check it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.