Mill rad?

You could always get a turret with MTC (More Tactile Clicks) like S&B, Premier, or Tangent Theta. Those heavier detents at full MIL are nice to keep track while not looking at the turret. Super easy to go 2.3MIL. Go to the second heavy detent (2.0), then +3 clicks.

8 moa is not 11.1 mils! That is how bringing linear in makes mistakes. 1 mil is 3.43 moa so divide 8 by 3.43 to get 2.33 or 2.3 mils. Simple. No linear.
you are correct, but at 500 he needs 1.047 MOA X 5 or 52" if that's what he has. But it's the way I learned was by mils, and one mil is 3.6", but what he is shooting makes a difference, this is only a line of sight chart that shows difference in MOA vers MILS. Maybe this will help him out.
moa-mils chart.png

18 inches = (500 yds * 36 inch per yard) /1000 > 1 mrad at 500

3.6 inch per mrad at 100 > 500 * 36 = 18000 inches /1000 = 18 inches > 18/3.6 = 5 mrads at 500

278 yards * 36 inches for yard = 10008 inches / 1000 = 10..01 inches per mrad > .1 mrad adjust click = 1 inch at 278 yards (T post width)

Dial clicks on Mrad scopes are usually .1 Mrad > 18 inches * .1 = 1.8 inches at 500 yards for each .1 mrad click

I prefer mrad adjustments of over moa for field use. I commonly measure barbed wire fences looking at distances between wires. Like if a 16 inch span is a tiny bit less than 1mrad on my reticle the range is real close to 500 yards. A .2 mrad reticle dot will span 3.6 inches at 500 or (18inches for 500 yards) * .2 (size dot) = 3.6 inches at 500. Barbed wire T posts are usually 1 inch wide > 1 inch / .36 inches per mrad at 100 = 2.78 * 100 = 278 yards.

I use my $6 Walmart Casio calculator when field shooting (rodents) with my range finder & use the same Casio in the grocery store when shopping (horrible inflation). No charts.

A common or classic mil dot reticle

All sorts of dimensions are incorporated in reticle features. My choice of scopes would be a fixed 16X50, SF, 30 mm tube with this mdot reticle & .1 mrad adjustments.

Last edited:
you are correct, but at 500 he needs 1.047 MOA X 5 or 52" if that's what he has. But it's the way I learned was by mils, and one mil is 3.6", but what he is shooting makes a difference, this is only a line of sight chart that shows difference in MOA vers MILS. Maybe this will help him out.View attachment 366907
Again another reason why linear does not matter. 1 mil at 500 yards is 1 mil. 1 moa at 678 yards is 1 moa. See? No linear. Convert from angular to angular and you won't confuse yourself. Even then no need to do that as you just run your data in either moa or mils and dial it on. It's so simple.

Hate to say it but some people need to pulled kicking and screaming into the modern world of the metric system. Milradian is very easy to use in metric. 1 mi is 10 centimeters at 100 meters. 20 centimetres at 200 meters and so on. Of if you like 1/10th mil, 1 click, is 10 millimetres at 100 mtere, 1 mil is 100 millimetre at 100 meters, 2 milradian is 200 millimetres at 200 metres and so on till 1000 millimetres at 1000 metres and beyond.
Strelok pro is your friend here.

They put those dots and hash marks on scope reticles for some purpose - like look there's one just left of the fence post at 478 yards, quick shoot it. What's next - count clicks, look at dial and turn or look at hash marks on reticle & shoot. Counting clicks and looking at dial is more accurate (provided the scope tracks good) but takes more time ). Then there is the situation where the rangefinder does not work, like dead battery, extreme cold, in this case using an object having known size with reticle feature spacing will enable a reasonably good range estimate.

In the US military the metric system is used.

In civilian rodent shooting - there's a real big one -looks like it's 457 mm long. Impossible, they don't get that big (or do they?)

Last edited:
Hate to say it but some people need to pulled kicking and screaming into the modern world of the metric system. Milradian is very easy to use in metric.
The radian is an SI derived unit, meaning it's dimensionless and is defined by the base unit used. Radians are not limited to working only with metric measurements, they're are easy to use in imperial units just the same. A mil-rad is 1/10th of anything at 100 of it. That's it. No magic, no metric, no arguments.

Want to use yards? A mil is 1/10th of a yard at 100 yards.

Want to use meters? It's 1/10th of a meter at 100 meters.

It works the same either way.

Last edited:
The radian is an SI derived unit, meaning it's dimensionless and is defined by the base unit used. Radians are not limited to working only with metric measurements, they're are easy to use in imperial units just the same. A mil-rad is 1/10th of anything at 100 of it. That's it. No magic, no metric, no arguments.

Want to use yards? A mil is 1/10th of a yard at 100 yards.

Want to use meters? It's 1/10th of a meter at 100 meters.

It works the same either way.
Perfect explanation.

Isn't math fun? Applying subtension for downrange zeroing and rangefinding is like a high school class unto itself. I'm still learning some odd niche stuff with it and i've been studying subtension for 25 years...but it is truly amazing what can be accomplished with it in the field with optics, iron sights, and even archery sight pins.