Mill or mill/drill recommendation

This is the small bench top mill ive been looking at. I am limited on space as well. I have a milling attachment for my lathe that I use a lot but I'm really looking at buying a smaller sized mill and this is the one ive been thinking about buy. I like the quick variable speed and smaller foot print size for doing stock inlets and small jobs.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill-Drill-with-Stand/G0704#

This is the small bench top mill ive been looking at. I am limited on space as well. I have a milling attachment for my lathe that I use a lot but I'm really looking at buying a smaller sized mill and this is the one ive been thinking about buy. I like the quick variable speed and smaller foot print size for doing stock inlets and small jobs.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill-Drill-with-Stand/G0704#

Looks pretty good .. R8 give you lots of options, table long enough for any clamping needs for your stock work.

That looks to be about the exact size id like. Thanks!
Its cheaper then the precision Matthews mill and comes with a stand not a bad deal IMHO. I have no idea about the rigidity of the quill or the quality of the spindle bearings but if its just like work like stock inletting I bet it would be just fine. But I'm no machinist just a garage warrior.

I appreciate the explanation. i understand metal and electricity just don't need such a beast for this application.
If there is no quality smaller 110v machine to speed up stock work then I'm going to market them after I build it.

Unless you are a large corporation with deep pockets, the R&D alone is beyond your reach. but the thought is good anyway. Good luck with a tabletop machine, you'll find that rigidity and repeatability comes with mass., but that applies to almost everything.

Myself, I'd rather run 408-440 over 220 or 110 if I had it. The higher the voltage the less expensive the motor is to run.

Don't get me wrong, bigger and more is usually better but this is for quick minor work on sub 2lb carbon fiber stocks. Using a bport for this would be equivelant to driving a tractor and reefer trailer to pick up a gallon of milk around the corner and then storing the tractor trailer year round to use it to get milk once a week.. I get where your coming from but your missing the point here.

I think the best Bridgeport style milling machine I've ever seen was the one from Willis Machine. Their spindle line is best anywhere, and I really like their tooling package.
gary

I understand what you are trying to do you will be surprised what you end up using it for I had one when I first started they will do a lot of things just not as good or fast as a bigger mill if in your budget I would look at one made in Taiwan I think they are a little Better quality industry's Recycle on eBay have some pretty good deals sometimes good luck

not knowing your location. There's a huge tool show in Chicago right after Labor Day. You'll see everything there, and it's a full day minimum. I used to go to it every year with a list of equipment to check out. If you go, wear a good pair of walking shoes, and take your check book as there are some seriously good deals on the floor models they are showing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts