Mill-dot ranging, target sizes?

angus-5024

I have been attemping to get profficient at mill-ranging. I have been using the belly to brisket method, but would like to know other demensions (larger) for a little more give in the numbers. I know that some deer are bigger than others, but as a generalization they can be from A"-B". Does anyone have demensions from chest to tail of North American big game animals? I hunt mostly deer and bear but would also like figures for moose, elk, sheep,coyote and anything else that I can fantisize about hunting. I would like to make up some life like targets for an upcoming spring shoot as well and these numbers would be benificial. thanks.

i think your idea of setting up like size targets at different distances and then practice ranging them is a good one.

I have been attemping to get profficient at mill-ranging. I have been using the belly to brisket method, but would like to know other demensions (larger) for a little more give in the numbers. I know that some deer are bigger than others, but as a generalization they can be from A"-B". Does anyone have demensions from chest to tail of North American big game animals? I hunt mostly deer and bear but would also like figures for moose, elk, sheep,coyote and anything else that I can fantisize about hunting. I would like to make up some life like targets for an upcoming spring shoot as well and these numbers would be benificial. thanks.

I tried this method way back when they first came out with mill dot scopes and found it
marginal at best because the Deer and Elk sizes vary so much that I ended up averaging
the size and It was rarely correct so I abandoned that process and moved on to a different
system that worked better for me.

First I zero the cross hairs at the optumum range (Normally 200 or 250 yards) and with a lot
of paper above the zero target I hold the first mill dot on the Point of impact and shoot a 3
shot group. then I hold the second mill dot at the same aiming point and shoot 3 more shots.
I repeat this on the rest of the mill dots, then I determine the center of each group and
measure the increase in elevation to determine at what distance each mill dot will be zeroed.

Then I verify this buy picking the futherest distance and shooting a 3 shot group using the last mill dot.

I am better at guessing the distance than using the size comparison method so it works well
for me and now that are some great range finders it realy works well when there is no time to
twist the turrets, I know where each mill dot will hit and with the ranger finder it only improves
the shot placement.

Of course if you have time ranging and turning the turrets is the most precise but in a pinch the
mill dot zero will work well at medium to long ranges (400 to 800yards is about all I will use)
and for longer ranges where time is not an issue the ranging and adjusting the scope is the
only way I feel comfortable taking a shot.

I have not found any system that is as accurate at range estimation as the lazer ranger finder.
And with the Mill dot retical it is a great all round setup.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Eaglet,
thanks for the link, I'll probably brint that out for refrence in the field.
J E CUSTOM,
Thanks for the reply and your experience with "no-cigar" mill-dot ranging. I can sometimes borrow my brother-in-laws Lecia 1200, in which case I will use, but for a while I dont think that I'll be getting one for myself. Maybe by fall but defenatly not before bear season.

I'm just gonna have to keep the ranges down to 500 yards and less unless I can borrow a laser rangfinder. I shoot Barnes 210 TTSX at 3390-3400fps, so I have some room for error (still no much though). thanks again.
JM

Call the game wardens in the units that you hunt. They will have plenty of data for each age class of animal. This is the approach I use If your looking at a buck/bull you need to age him that will go along way toward having a more accurate guestimate to actual back to briskit size. The haunch to shoulder or whatever else should also be available from the game wardens of the units you hunt. Does and I imagine cow elk are much closer to a standard size btw. It may be a better option to range the doe/cow with your mill scale.

Thats a good idea RBetts. The local conservation officers would probably have a really good idea of what was out there size wise. Though last time I tried to contact them I got machine after machine. I'll give it a try.

Thats a good idea RBetts. The local conservation officers would probably have a really good idea of what was out there size wise. Though last time I tried to contact them I got machine after machine. I'll give it a try.
Write a letter and an email. Letters work well phone calls do not

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.