mill creek elk

DR 3006

I drew a Oregon, mill creek watershed elk tag this year. was curious if anybody else out there has had a chance to hunt or observe much of this area? I know about the rough terrain. lots of glassing too. just hoping to hear some first hand experiences out of the reel world experiences??????

A friend of mine drew this tag last year. I was in Idaho hunting elk when the season started. He was still hunting when I got home. Had been home a couple days when he called and advised he had a bull down. I took my horses up and packed it out for him. His bull was a very nice bull. Would imagine it was in the 300 to 350 class. I didn't get to hunt with him, but the main thing he kept stressing about his hunt was. You needed to glass a lot and the key thing was not to be impatient and just get up and move on because you don't immediately see something. Also you need to stay late and glass, this means you're going to be coming out of some pretty nasty country in the dark. He talked about seeing numerous bulls and most of them were 400 plus yards away and not much chance of getting closer. He was pretty wore down when I got to camp with the horses. Don't know if he was glad to see me, but them horses were his new best friends at the moment. Don't know if this helps much. Good luck and have fun.

thanks , everything helps on this one. been tough finding any first hand knowledge. the guys I have talked with have been very helpful. sounds like extra batteries for the headlamp will be a must. been planning on a new spotting scope also. going to travel over this weekend and get a small view of the area.

How did your hunt go? I should get it this year I've been in there once but was in 1999. Thank you

hunt was fun, seen 26 different 6pt bulls only 6 I thought were over 300 type bulls. couple bigger but in Washington. had lot of weather rain,fog,snow,sunny was pretty interesting at times. felt really competitive though. wish the season was longer or less tags. how many pts do you have? sounds like 12 to get it this year.

I did , a 6pt. I would say one of the more common sized around 260ish. not sure what the trails were like when you were there before, but the creek bottoms do not exist anymore. just like being on the coast in a creek bottom. good luck in the draw. would be fun returning again I will try for one of the random tags this year:)

Yeah the bottom was bad back then but I'm sure it's way worse now. We hunted from top to bottom then. I shot a 7x6 360 off broken. I plan on hunting low and Indian but Indian is nasty. Did you ever come out the bottom? Thanks for the replies I appreciate it!

What ridge did you get your bull on? You said you felt like there was a lot of pressure? Was it mainly on top when we hunted not many guys went too far down in and by the 3/4 day everyone was pretty much gone? Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.