Milk jug challenge complete with 22-250Ai at 1358 yards

Creedmoor shooter

Never I thought I'd see the day where we'd be pushing a 22 cal at these distances with consistency. Dad completed the milk jug challenge on the 8th shot with his 22-250AI built on a savage action at 1358 yards.

Savage model 12 action
Shilen select match 26in varmint contour 1:7.5 twist 4 groove ratchet rifling
Vortex hs-t 4-16x44
DNZ game reaper tactical mounts with 20 moa base
95 smk on top of 42 grains of rl-26 at 3200 fps.

The 95 smk blew up in the jug on impact. Only fragments made it out.

As a side note- there's a 3 shot group from my 6.5 creedmoor at 1358 yards.
20180721_095316.jpg
20180721_095247.jpg
20180721_095300.jpg
20180721_082604.jpg

Disclaimer- the rifle in the pic is not the Ackley. That's mine, but he wanted a rifle in the pic and left the Ackley at the quad and didnt want to go back to get it.

Last edited:
Awesome shooting by your Dad with the 22 and you with creed. Those 95 SMK are a real game changer when it comes to hitting targets at LR.

Its interesting that the bullet fragmented so violently in the water at that distance. What was the estimated impact vel? 1300-1400? Not sure your elevation where you were shooting but along with the vel may have had them fully stable even with the 7.5 twist.

Do you know how well that load was grouping for him at closer distances?

Did you/he compute a G7 for the 95 based on drop and environmental's? My guess is around .300 G7

Does he plan to do any hunting with it or just for target? If that bullet actually works, like it did on the jug, it might make a nice LR varmint combo

Based on the talk of FTR shooters it might very well have people using the .223 at the 1K line more. Presently the 308s 200 and 210 Bergers rule @ 1K but it seems with a long throat and 31-32" barrel they will be shooting the same as the 90s are from 30". ISSF reamer throat has to be doubled IIRC for this bullet to work compared to the 90 Berger. Very long body on this bullet. I know of a few that are throating their chambers specifically for ideal seating this bullet. One great thing is it does seem to be capable of very good accuracy without terrible amount of workup.

I would not be surprised to see a 22-250AI/22 Creed in a PRS match or two with this bullet. That and it could give a renewed interest in the WSSM that might be collecting dust.

I am ordering a barrel from Bartlien with gain twist ending at 6.5 to get the max BC as I am close to sea level a lot. Choose the gain twist as I do not want to have issue tearing up these bullets pushing them hard with a straight 6.5. I now they addressed the issue with these they had with the 90 SMKs and I figure they had to expect these to be used in the overbore .224 but still want to be sure and it may help as the barrel wears..

May adjust that if Applied Ballistics can get us some hard number for spin for full BC value.

Awesome shooting by your Dad with the 22 and you with creed. Those 95 SMK are a real game changer when it comes to hitting targets at LR.

Its interesting that the bullet fragmented so violently in the water at that distance. What was the estimated impact vel? 1300-1400? Not sure your elevation where you were shooting but along with the vel may have had them fully stable even with the 7.5 twist.

Do you know how well that load was grouping for him at closer distances?

Did you/he compute a G7 for the 95 based on drop and environmental's? My guess is around .300 G7

Does he plan to do any hunting with it or just for target? If that bullet actually works, like it did on the jug, it might make a nice LR varmint combo

Based on the talk of FTR shooters it might very well have people using the .223 at the 1K line more. Presently the 308s 200 and 210 Bergers rule @ 1K but it seems with a long throat and 31-32" barrel they will be shooting the same as the 90s are from 30". ISSF reamer throat has to be doubled IIRC for this bullet to work compared to the 90 Berger. Very long body on this bullet. I know of a few that are throating their chambers specifically for ideal seating this bullet. One great thing is it does seem to be capable of very good accuracy without terrible amount of workup.

I would not be surprised to see a 22-250AI/22 Creed in a PRS match or two with this bullet. That and it could give a renewed interest in the WSSM that might be collecting dust.

I am ordering a barrel from Bartlien with gain twist ending at 6.5 to get the max BC as I am close to sea level a lot. Choose the gain twist as I do not want to have issue tearing up these bullets pushing them hard with a straight 6.5. I now they addressed the issue with these they had with the 90 SMKs and I figure they had to expect these to be used in the overbore .224 but still want to be sure and it may help as the barrel wears..

May adjust that if Applied Ballistics can get us some hard number for spin for full BC value.
Yes we found it very strange that the bullet blew up like that in us. The impact velocity was 1400 fps exactly. We ran a g1 of .601. I'm going to figure out a g7 when we can get alittle more data, but I ran the numbers with a g7 of .300 and it's pretty dang close. Within a couple clicks. We are at an elevation of 1,000 ft. We were hoping to deer hunt with the 95 smk but it's pretty evident it would be a disaster. It's strange though, at 1,000 yards we didnt get that effect. The bullet appeared to expand nicely and it all exited. I would've accused this one of bouncing in but I watch the bullet hit the jug and the entry hole on the jug was perfect. You can see in the pic all that lead color on the inside of the jug. That's where it entered and blew up. I'm expecting to see a few people using the 95 smk in prs matches. Your gain twist should be perfect for this bullet. What chambering are you going with? His gun would qualify with the 3200 fps maximum. As for how well it shoots at closer range, this is a group from 100 yards
20180410_182511.jpg

I have not fully settled on the cartridge. I know I want something close and around the 250/creed. It will get freebored specific for this bullet which I know can be dangerous but I have yet to find someone with proper twist that could not get it them to shoot well. As can be seen from your 100 yd group they make a ragged hole.

Its good to know the BCs are spot on. Tjtat was one of the main things I wanted to confirm before throwing money at it.

The bullet perf I have seen with other match bullets like Berger as well. Somethngs they open picture perfect and other times they don't and then sometimes they explode. All I can think of is slight differences in metaplate and lead fill behind it. Possibly entry angle. Of course vel but thats a given.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts