military pea shooters

silvertip-co

It's just so funny to me how history just keeps repeating and repeating and repeating itself. In the 60's the military went around to all the local stores and bought up all the .308 ( we measured in American inches then ) heavy barrel Win and Rem bolt action rifles to ship off to RVN as the first sniper rifles, thus drying up the supply of varmint guns for sportsmen and taxpayers.

Now the same thing is happening with .308 ( I am American so I measure inches) semi -auto M-14 type rifles to send to Afghanistan because the mil is unhappy about the Saturday night parties in Taliban cities attended by towelheads wounded by .223 rifle shots. They call em 'wound parties', and they compare the numbers of bullet wounds, towelhead with most healin holes wins. The stores surrounding a lot of mil installations are out of .308 semi rifles due to the new mil de-centralized purchasing policy.

Also the mil now realizes the MANY limitations of their 40 yr old M16( AR15) squirrel rifles and needs semi auto .308's to reach across them valleys. (Didn't we begin with REAL 30-06 sniper rifles in WWII ?) . Gosh.

OMG, can the mil getting rid of the tin can shootin 9mm plastic guns be next??? I mean if it holds 19 shots and cant kill the enemy whats the point??? ( My crystal ball is real cloudy, but I forsee us Tea Party taxpayers and cynical Army Dads (me) not bein able to buy 1911 style .45s in the stores in the future.)

Reality sets in.

Details at 11...

Having never been in the military, I cant say from first hand experience, but if someone was trying to do me harm the NEITHER the .223, or the 9mm would be anywhere near my first choice for shootin back!

I may catch heck for this, but I dont care. ''Squirl guns'', and ''Tin can'' poppers just plain ol' suck for the aplication involved. IMO(and no my opinion will not change!)

If it were me or my son over there, Id want to know that what I shot and hit was done, and I could move on to the next threat. Give me a 1911 in .45 and an -06, or 308 at least for my rifle.
The 6.8 SPC has potential. At least its getting bigger this time.
Whats next sending our boys over with 10/22's and 17HMR's ? with airsoft pistols as back up? Oh wait, the Federallies just ceazed them all.............. Then maybe cap guns.
I here ya Silvertip co. +1!!!

Qual'ed in 70' with the M1a affectionately known as the M-14 and the older I got the more I had to have one so several years ago I got me one brand new straight from Springfield along with 5-20 round mil-spec clips...not the cheapys they don't like to stay in, 2400 rounds of LC ammo and a Blackhawk case...good to go. Living in Hurricane Land and after Andrew and Hugo my wife was more than understanding of spending +3k and my favorite "You Loot We Shoot" Now my son who also spent 4 years in the Corps 93-97 and currently w/FHP was relentless with get an AR-15 and the likes but once he had a chance to play with it, he know thinks I'm crazy whenever I tease him about selling it.

I sometimes think it's a generation thing, kinda like the pocket rocket, fart sounding exhaust zippy cars that the younger folks are crazy about...that's until they get around some 60's muscle cars, heck they sounded bad fully stock and right off the showroom floor. Just for those that can remember I was in your average Chevy dealership showroom with my Dad in 1966 he was shopping for an Impala. I saw this Brissling brand new Canary Yellow Vette loaded with a 427 and the sticker price...are you ready $6,400 plus or minus a few bucks and yes I know candy bars were a nickel, some a dime and rock and roll was rock and roll...enough back on track.

To each their own and I respect that but, I'll take my M-14:)

To each their own and I respect that but, I'll take my M-14

I am with you first rifle I ever fired in Mil and on full auto

I am just wondering about this big "BUY UP" is all? I haven't seen it or heard of it that's all.

M14 are still pretty hard to come by, when I hit the ground in Afghanistan in 04 there was one a 1sgt in 10th mountain had with 22-2 INF. When the 25th ID relieved the 10th mountain around June 04 it seamed like every 7th guy had one! I spoke with many of them about the weapon. It was very surprising to me they had no working knowledge of the weapon! Most did not know how to field strip some were ordered to carry it + there M4 due to lack of magazines. Most did not know how to ZERO it and assumed it was just like an M4. I gave many on the spot training sessions as none of them where my soldiers there was little I could do but force my knowledge on them.

When I did IRAQ in 07-08 there was one in the back of every STRYKER and every DM had one with the TRIJICON ACOG mounted. These troops this time from 2nd ID had a much better understanding of the weapon the where so privileged to carry but it also made them targets.

These days getting the M14 is a real honor for any man it shows his NCOs have confidence in his skill and knowledge as a rifleman and is so valued there are inter platoon competitions to see who will get to bear it in combat.

Jon

10th Mountain Division...wasn't Senator Bob Dole in that unit during WWII? What branch of service were you in and what was your MOS?

Navy to Army, interesting change. Thanks for your service and stay safe. I see your from the snow belt part of the state, well at least pretty close to Buffalo.

Navy to Army, interesting change. Thanks for your service and stay safe. I see your from the snow belt part of the state, well at least pretty close to Buffalo.

Ya I live about one hour from buffalo. Dont go that way much there ant **** there LOL. Thanks for yours as well. I didnt get any snow this year just one big storm right at the tail end of winter.

I Shot my M1A yesterday it was great.

It's just so funny to me how history just keeps repeating and repeating and repeating itself. In the 60's the military went around to all the local stores and bought up all the .308 ( we measured in American inches then ) heavy barrel Win and Rem bolt action rifles to ship off to RVN as the first sniper rifles, thus drying up the supply of varmint guns for sportsmen and taxpayers.

If the supply dry up cause our men and women need those supplys to finsh the mission I say let them have all of it. We sportsmen and tax payers can wait It may mean they come home to the thier loved ones or come home in a body bag

I don't know if your saying the government is buying the M14s or if Soldiers are buying them when they get home. The military still has warehouses of M14s that have been retrofitted and sent to OIF/OEF, and has no need to buy new ones. The need for an automatic 7.62 was recognized and the XM110 has been approved and is being pushed forward. If you want an M14 and can't find one just keep looking. the gun show last month had tables of them. I like the Springfield SOCOM 16, its fun to play with.

cavtrooper64, SOCOM 16 looks like a M1a with a 16" barrel. What type of stock did you get with it? Just wondering what choices there are.

I like the SOCOM platform. Being a Springfield Armory fan, I'd like to get the SOCOM and have it available in the back of my patrol vehicle. I have my 870 and Bushmaster between the front seats but I'd just like the ability to grab a real rifle if I need it. Love the M14/M1A!!!

Chas,

I fired the one with a black synthetic "normal" stock. I was a bigger fan of the SOCOM than I was the SOCOM II. All the rails and cool guy stuff on the SOCOM II made it too heavy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.