Military Losing the Sniper War Against Russia?

That would be an interesting research paper to see when the 1st sniper was created because the US had snipers during our revolutionary war with the advent of rifling-barreled muzzleloaders and conical bullets called Kentucky rifles instead of using smooth bored rifles and lead balls.
Maybe check your sources because in the Revolutionary War rifles used greased patched lead round balls.

I think I read somehwere the first snipers were Americans with Kentucky long rifles in the revolutionary war.
Daniel Morgan commanded a Corps of Virginia Rifleman in the Revolutionary war. At the battle of Saratoga a rifleman in Daniel Morgans Rifle Corps, Timothy Murphy, shot and killed GEN Simon Frasier at a pivotal point in the battle helping turn the tide of victory to the Americans.

Last edited:
Snipers...not invented here or in Russia!
Google GIRARDONI or the incorrect spelling Girandoni. You will find an amazing repeating rifle (at least 10 shot) that worked far better picking off Non Coms and Officers at over 100 yards making no cloud of blueish-gray smoke that gives your position and likely obscures any follow-up shot!
Made in Tyrol, Austro-Hungarian Empire!
Everyone else was still using muzzle loaders! Unfortunately it was way ahead of the metallurgy needed...todays Big Bore Air Rifles are direct decendents.

shootski
Sorry shoot but Revolutionary War rifleman on the American side made a point to take out British Officers specifically.

dfanonymous - Every Marine is in fact a Rifleman. EOD, COOK, ATTORNEY (YOU GET THE DRIFT). Pilots do get some passes. (unless on shore duty - not currently flying) Also new qual course involves 500yds. If available, night firing, 600yds and moving targets. Only branch currently shooting LD with M16's.
Marines Pilots do not get a pass. Marine Pilots are Officers and all had to go to Marine TBS in Quantico "The Big Suck" before they went to Navy Flight Training. So all Marine Pilots got trained as infantry Officers before flight school.

You say over glamorized, I say under utilized. People do look at snipers mostly just as the source for long range rifle fire. But their secondary mission as eyes and ears is just as if not more important. I instill in training that the radio is their biggest weapon/asset. That CCA/CAS and indirect fire will inflict more damage than any rifle. Ignorance in utilization is the biggest problem. They are that unconventional force within a conventional force.
B4 I totally agree. After reading Ed Kuglers's book "Dead Center" recounting his two years as a USMC Scout Sniper in Vietnam I came away realizing a scout sniper teams most lethal weapon was their radio. The scout sniper team in Vietnam with a radio was most deadly as Arty FAC's or Air Cover FAC's.

Herbert W. McBride is often credited with being the "father" of modern sniping. An American who went to Canada to enlist for WW1 (imagine that, someone going TO Canada to get INTO a war instead of running north to avoid one...). Serving under British authority, he demonstrated the usefulness of a skilled rifleman seeking targets of opportunity. He also did some impressive things with heavy machine guns. He wrote a book on each subject.

WAshington employed snipers during the Revolutionary War, one jumps out Timothy Murphy employed a rifled musket at a little over 300yd against British General Frazier long range in those day considering a State of the art Brown Bess had an effective range of about 60 yds. Sgt.

You say over glamorized, I say under utilized. People do look at snipers mostly just as the source for long range rifle fire. But their secondary mission as eyes and ears is just as if not more important. I instill in training that the radio is their biggest weapon/asset. That CCA/CAS and indirect fire will inflict more damage than any rifle. Ignorance in utilization is the biggest problem. They are that unconventional force within a conventional force.

Yep. That's what I was saying in the situation of a field of Russian snipers. If raining holy hell makes the mission possible, or at least prevents catastrophic casualties to our peeps in a forward push, then as my mandalorian friends would say....this is the way. I don't even care if we need to go back and pick up a platoon level of 81mm mortars w/ WP. I'd make every attempt to push it to the talk that smoking dudes out is better than playing the sniper version of tag.

.....Just google the history of snipers and the origin of the word. Goes back a long ways......

Who knows what's true, I like thinking it was DaVinci.......

We're in the middle of a bio/media war at present, microbes, and ideas pretty tough to target with a rifle.

Come on HARPERC, you're just not woke and that upsets me. Or maybe you are, wasn't he into sodomy? First I was called insignificant and now this. In the name of social justice will someone please go tear down a statue and burn down the pizza joint. Justice for Juicy!😷 That fella is smiling under his mask...or is he?Kind of a Shrodinger's cat thing.

Attachments

• 436341CD-4B7F-4539-8027-AFA782974207.gif
    436341CD-4B7F-4539-8027-AFA782974207.gif
    866.7 KB · Views: 188
Daniel Morgan commanded a Corps of Virginia Rifleman in the Revolutionary war. At the battle of Saratoga a rifleman in Daniel Morgans Rifle Corps, Timothy Murphy, shot and killed GEN Simon Frasier at a pivotal point in the battle helping turn the tide of victory to the Americans.
No empirical evidence that this actually happened, but I choose to side with it.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.