Military Losing the Sniper War Against Russia?

Well to be fair, didn't Russia kinda invent the whole "sniping" concept from the start? And didn't the US learn most of what they know from the Russians and or Germans on the subject to begin with? Anyway, good for the Russians!
I think I read somehwere the first snipers were Americans with Kentucky long rifles in the revolutionary war.

That would be an interesting research paper to see when the 1st sniper was created because the US had snipers during our revolutionary war with the advent of rifling-barreled muzzleloaders and conical bullets called Kentucky rifles instead of using smooth bored rifles and lead balls.

I have a book, somewhere, on this very topic, and if my aging memory serves, it was written some time ago.
Yes, the American revolution was one usage of the sniper for their time, the Civil War saw snipers used from trees and other higher areas of the battlefield, and they began to use the old, long brass scopes. One instance recorded from the Revolution discussed a captured Colonial sniper who was sent back to England and forced to shoot distant targets. His skills were so impressive, they had him burned for witchcraft! LOL

Remember, the Creedmoor matches began around 1874, and those were 900 and 1,000 yard shoots, so LR shoots have been around for sometime.

During WWI, the Brits brought over hunting rifles to engage German troops at distance, and of course, the Germans had their own snipers.

I haven't thought of this book for sometime, so now, I will have to dig around and find it.

Aaaand gonna believe everything the Russians say?
Over our delusional media? Perhaps not everything, but the DISINFO here is RIDICULOUS!

"Case in Point:" This picture was taken directly off of a BLUE MASK BOX!!! :eek:

20200708_180921.png

I'd be more inclined to believe the Russians than our own government anymore...When was the last time our government had our best interest? Lol they're about the most corrupt, dishonest bunch of douche flutes in the world anymore.
I fully concur... just look at our fbi, doj and cia and what they did last election... you're 100% correct

That would be an interesting research paper to see when the 1st sniper was created because the US had snipers during our revolutionary war with the advent of rifling-barreled muzzleloaders and conical bullets called Kentucky rifles instead of using smooth bored rifles and lead balls.

The invention of rifling is attributed to the Germans (specifically, Augsburg, Germany in Bavaria) in 1498.

I would say that the first effective sniper rifle was the Kentucky Long Rifle which was developed in the early 1700's by gunsmiths in Pennsylvania (in the vicinity of Lancaster) who were German/Swiss (Bavarian) immigrants.

While I would agree that the use of this became much more prevalent in the American Revolution (followed by the British during the Napoleonic Wars in the early 1800's), I would note that the first snipers with rifled muskets of any significant deployment would likely have been during the French and Indian War.

In short, I would say that the Germans invented the technology and that America invented the long-range marksman.

And I do find it troubling that America is not the clear leader in military sniper technology (not to say that we are not the best or on par with the best, just that I cannot be certain).

Slow isn't the word, it usually happens due to a need...and after the fact. Having SMEs in positions to effect change sure helps, most doctrine writers I've met were old retired (and then some) fellas that may need to stay that way. Does no good either way if the signatories aren't on board. I will say that recent events have us going in the right direction.
I believe the Chief in the article was saying that snipers are (or at least should be) obsolete, that any soldier should be able to support that role. From what I read (correct me if I'm wrong) that same fella was a sniper at one time. I know things are perishable but that guy has lost his
**** mind. If you think we are obsolete then you are fooling yourself, instead you should be trying to convince the enemy of that.😁 Good luck, just maybe they have something right.
If your not familiar with sniper training and scout/recon you should look into it. No way is the army going to put everyone through that. Most would not make it. The ones who would make it are now snipers.

Snipers...not invented here or in Russia!
Google GIRARDONI or the incorrect spelling Girandoni. You will find an amazing repeating rifle (at least 10 shot) that worked far better picking off Non Coms and Officers at over 100 yards making no cloud of blueish-gray smoke that gives your position and likely obscures any follow-up shot!
Made in Tyrol, Austro-Hungarian Empire!
Everyone else was still using muzzle loaders! Unfortunately it was way ahead of the metallurgy needed...todays Big Bore Air Rifles are direct decendents.

shootski

Well to be fair, didn't Russia kinda invent the whole "sniping" concept from the start? And didn't the US learn most of what they know from the Russians and or Germans on the subject to begin with? Anyway, good for the Russians!
The Americans had snipers in the war for independence. Also, the Russians have been known to exaggerate their military equipment capabilities.

I'd be more inclined to believe the Russians than our own government anymore...When was the last time our government had our best interest? Lol they're about the most corrupt, dishonest bunch of douche flutes in the world anymore.

Our country is way from perfect but I wouldn't believe anything out of any country where the press is state run, like china and russia. With friends like that, who needs hemorrhoids or cancer?

dfanonymous - Every Marine is in fact a Rifleman. EOD, COOK, ATTORNEY (YOU GET THE DRIFT). Pilots do get some passes. (unless on shore duty - not currently flying) Also new qual course involves 500yds. If available, night firing, 600yds and moving targets. Only branch currently shooting LD with M16's.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.