Military crimp

Ben Collins

I'm new to reloading. I've been resizing .223 brass to 300 blackout. I've recently had a few pieces of brass where the "crimp ring" looks like it has broken away from the primer pocket. Are these pieces of brass safe to reload and fire?

Attachments

• 1510272611578-740396873.jpg
    1510272611578-740396873.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 179
The recessed ring you see is the crimp that runs around the entire primer pocket.
Another type of Lake City crimp has four stake marks.

maxresdefault.jpg

The recessed ring you see is the crimp that runs around the entire primer pocket.
Another type of Lake City crimp has four stake marks.

Not sure if you can see in my pic the crimp looks like it has separated from the primer pocket. There is a small gap around the outside of the primer. Should I worry or reload?

the mass of your primer is still fully supported, they should be fine to shoot at least once. Or, if you don't feel safe, just tap out the primers and recycle those couple pieces.

as cheap as 223 rem is , if i get any resistance at all from any 223 case for any reason it goes straight to scrap

id toss those for the dings on the outer rim -

Anyone who doesn't want their once-fired Lake City 5.56 brass can leave the spent primers in them, bag them up, and send them to me.

as cheap as 223 rem is , if i get any resistance at all from any 223 case for any reason it goes straight to scrap

id toss those for the dings on the outer rim -

Why toss a perfectly good case with a dinged rim, I keep a small file on my loading bench and remove any dings.

The ding in the rim will keep the case from dropping all the way into a Wilson type gauge. And a quick pass with a file will fix the problem. And the rim can be checked by reversing the case and putting it base first into the gauge.

Just remember not all case gauges are the same diameter, and nothing wrong with the case rim on the right. The red JP Enterprise .223 gauge is closer to minimum SAAMI case diameter.

KSB3ZvP.jpg

I don't have a case diameter gauge! How important is that to have? I was building some confidence in shooting the rounds ive made. But this has shattered that! Haha

Your barrel is your best case gauge, "BUT" I was loading for three AR15 rifles and two belonged to my sons. And Dad wasn't going to be blamed for ammo that didn't chamber in their rifles. ;)

Meaning if the case fits in the JP Enterprise gauge it would fit in any chamber.

Your barrel is your best case gauge, "BUT" I was loading for three AR15 rifles and two belonged to my sons. And Dad wasn't going to be blamed for ammo that didn't chamber in their rifles. ;)

Meaning if the case fits in the JP Enterprise gauge it would fit in any chamber.
Ok great thx... I was worried about safety! If it wont chamber it's safe, cause it ain't gonna pop.

Chambers and reloading dies vary in size and you never know what you can run into when it comes to size and fit.

Example I have a standard Lee .223 full length die that sizes the case smaller in diameter than my RCBS small base die. This same die will push the shoulder back .003 further if setup per the instructions. Meaning hard contact with the shell holder with press cam over.

I'm not sure if Quality controls the + - tolerances of the dies or if the stock holders do.

since you are new to reloading you should toss those into a box and put it aside for a couple of years. A good host of people will tell you to knock those primers out, remove the crimp and carry on.
They are right, AND WRONG. Before you load any military brass you need to understand that not only is the primer crimped, the brass is heavyer (thicker), on the web. Why, the military wants the brass of all rifle rnds able to be attached to a belt.
Witch means that the web has to be stronger and that reduces the case capacity.
A reduced case capacity can and will increase preasure with the same load that you want to use weather it be 223, 300 blackout or what ever.
I advise that you separate all of your brass into brands and only load in 1 brand.
When you up the neck of a 223 to 308 size an annealing would be advisable.

welcome to reloading always refere to published data annnnddd start low and work up.

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Scroll down to "223 case capacity"
It shows Lake city 06 had the HIGHEST case capacity out of 17 brands
and was the lightest.

Military 5.56 cases can not be made thicker like a 7.62 case and still have enough case capacity.
The military Lake City cases are made of harder and stronger brass.

JcVlKzc.jpg

This dates back to the 1968 Congressional hearings on the M16 rifle jamming problem.

OujD1z7.jpg

How Hard is Your Brass? 5.56 and .223 Rem Base Hardness Tests
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...r-brass-5-56-and-223-rem-base-hardness-tests/
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...r-brass-5-56-and-223-rem-base-hardness-tests/
brasstest03.png

LjAQ7L9.jpg

Bottom line, Lake City brass is made "Ford Truck Tough"

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.