Mildot Ranging

Bottom line: Mildots suck for HUNTING. Few shooters use them correctly. And apparently nobody can keep MILS/MOA/INCHES straight.

Mikecr,

Mildots don't suck for hunting at all and can be very accurate way of ranging most any animal, even prairie dogs. But it all comes down to how much practice you want to put into using mil-dots.

Most folks I see who try to use them can break them down into 1/4 increments and maybe 1/8th increments. 1/4 increments can be a disasters when it comes to ranging smaller targets at longer ranges. When were trained on mildots we could break them down into 1/10th increments and they were very accurate. The more practice the better you get. Also a mil-dot master is a must.

But with advent of laser range finders, mildots have taken a back seat. But anything with electronics is also voodoo as Murphy 's Law will bite you in the butt just when you need them the most.

Like most folks, I use my laser range finder, but if it craps out, I'm also extremely confident in my abilities to use mil-dots for ranging.

Better to know how to use them correctly and effectively and at least have a contingency plan just incase the batteries or laser range finder goes caput.

There is a simulator program you can demo and buy at Shooter Ready. I do not know how exact the program is, but it will provide hands on experience using mildots for ranging, plus other variables of long range shooting such as wind and atmospheric conditions. Bare in mind that it may not translate exactly to your scope or rifle/cartridge combination. You should try it if you want to learn how to properly use mildots. One thing you should learn is that even with many of the parts of the equation known, it is no simple task to be able to hit the long range target in the desired location. It takes practice.

Jeff & long450

As mentioned previously I agree 100% with you. When learned properly it's great. I have both the Mil-dot master and the Shooter Ready CD and the two together are like going to school. Add to this a good wind meter and lets rock. I do know a couple guys who have mil-dot scopes, but haven't even bothered to learn it. With that no wonder some say it's no good. Like anything practice makes perfect. As said practice...
Myself I love to go aut and shoot as much as possible just to learn and get better, plus it's a lot of FUN.

Mil-dots are interesting to play with. It takes a lot of time and experience to use them. Mil-dots cannot begin to compare to the speed and accuracy of a laser rangefinder. If you take several shooters and ask them to range a perfect 12 inch square at an unknown range the readings will vary by large amounts. I can hand the same three people a laser and they will all be dead correct within one yard. For me personally that says it all. The laser rangefinder has and will continue to make the mil-dot system a thing of the past. A ranging method whose time has come and gone. Deer and Elk do not come in standard sizes. Nor do game animals kindly stand broadside against surfaces with clear resolution. The entire concept is flawed. This is not a slam against people who enjoy using mil-dots. For true speed and accuracy get a laser rangefinder and never look back.
Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.