Mil vs MOA

If you shoot with buddies jump on the train they are on. If not, pick one. I prefer mils, what I learned on. Once you got it down it's easy to jump to the other. Same thing different scale.

Just use a good ballistic app and you'll be able to shoot either without missing a beat. I have both and honestly, have zero issues.

If you had an imperial/metric ruler and somebody asked you to tell them how long something was could you tell them in millimeters and inches? Its the same thing. MOA is read as a ruler in the reticle, mil is read as a ruler in the reticle. If you are using a ballistic calculator to figure range and dial, then estimating the hold off for the second shot once you missed it doesn't matter. If you use or want to use your reticle to range use mils.

Converting MOA to inches is like converting a 75 mph sign on the interstate to 110 feet per second when your car has km/h speedometer just to convert it back to Im going to keep up with the second fastest guy. Completely useless.

If you had an imperial/metric ruler and somebody asked you to tell them how long something was could you tell them in millimeters and inches? Its the same thing. MOA is read as a ruler in the reticle, mil is read as a ruler in the reticle. If you are using a ballistic calculator to figure range and dial, then estimating the hold off for the second shot once you missed it doesn't matter. If you use or want to use your reticle to range use mils.

Converting MOA to inches is like converting a 75 mph sign on the interstate to 110 feet per second when your car has km/h speedometer just to convert it back to Im going to keep up with the second fastest guy. Completely useless.
That's as simple as learning your equipment and that means your reticle. This makes it easy to learn mils and why a ffp becomes very important as well. Once you learn what your reticle marks are in relation to mils and the use of a ballistics app, it's honestly not that hard. Easy to determine mil clicks on missed shots if you know your impact points and can see them or estimate them in relation to your reticle.

Best thing to do if you have more than one rifle is to stick with then you started with, if your first scope was MOA when you buy another stick with it.There is no advantage between either,it's just another way of dividing a circle.Just to clear things up MIL/Rad is NOT metric, it's decimal, in other words it's in increments of 10.If you go on the internet and look for MOA v Mil/RAD all is explained.

Same here. Do y'all know a formula I can use on how to calculate how many mils I need to come up or down?
Is your reticle incremented in mils? If so, you don't need to convert anything. Simply measure with the reticle and adjust with the turrets. It just doesn't get any easier than that.

John

Is your reticle incremented in mils? If so, you don't need to convert anything. Simply measure with the reticle and adjust with the turrets. It just doesn't get any easier than that.

John
Go on to JBM calculations-trajectory,then go into the bullet library and find the bullet you are using and click it on to your chart then fill in the rest of the boxes with the info, like scope height, zero distance,down range increments ie 25,50 or 100yds elevation in Mil/Rad,MOA,CPHM or IPHYards.When you have all the info in the boxes click on calculate then there you have it, just what you have been looking for.

Go on to JBM calculations-trajectory,then go into the bullet library and find the bullet you are using and click it on to your chart then fill in the rest of the boxes with the info, like scope height, zero distance,down range increments ie 25,50 or 100yds elevation in Mil/Rad,MOA,CPHM or IPHYards.When you have all the info in the boxes click on calculate then there you have it, just what you have been looking for.
I'm familiar with JBM and it's capabilities. I just see no need to convert mils to MOA or to inches. Just measure with the reticle and make the appropriate adjustment with the turret.

The only exception would be if the OP's scope reticle doesn't measure in mils.

John