Mil vs MOA

BT_1224

Hello all. I was wondering about mil vs moa. For long range shooting which adjustment do you prefer? Is there an advantage to either one?

thanks

Honestly, whatever makes more sense to you and whatever your shooting buddies use. To me, I grew up learning and talking MOA and inches. I judge everything in inches. So for me, to see an impact be 3" low at 600 yards, it's easy to convert that in MOA and call out 1/2 MOA low immediately when I'm spotting. If you were trained/taught to speak MILs when shooting, then you'll understand the value of MILs. I don't get caught up in it to much. Whatever is easier to you is the way to go.

Honestly, whatever makes more sense to you and whatever your shooting buddies use. To me, I grew up learning and talking MOA and inches. I judge everything in inches. So for me, to see an impact be 3" low at 600 yards, it's easy to convert that in MOA and call out 1/2 MOA low immediately when I'm spotting. If you were trained/taught to speak MILs when shooting, then you'll understand the value of MILs. I don't get caught up in it to much. Whatever is easier to you is the way to

Same here. Do y'all know a formula I can use on how to calculate how many mils I need to come up or down?

Since my newest scope is in mils (which I'm not familiar with) I'm having a little trouble adjusting from moa to mils

I'm actually moving from MOA to MRAD because I like the .1 mil increments. Also, in my farmboy brain MOA is like 1/4" and MRAD is 1/2" adjustments on my scopes of old. 1 mil is 3.6" at 100, making a .1mil click .36". MRAD requires less turns on the dials as well. Best thing is to look on the Federal Premium Ammo page and pull up the ballistics calculator. Look online somewhere for the BC of your bullet and hopefully you know your muzzle velocity of your load. You can print out the chart to reference when you go shoot/hunt.

I have a Leupy VX5HD coming with MRAD reticle. I plan to get the custom turrets they'll send me and just use the horizontal .5 mil increment reticle line for windage. Otherwise, trying to hold up and then over leaves you without a reference point.

I think the problem a lot of people have is they are trying to convert moa or mils to inches.
They're both measurements of angle so just speak that language.
Trying to convert an impact to 3" then back to moa is useless, instead use the reticle to measure said impact in moa or mil and make that correction.

Take your pick.

minute of angle is easy for Americans because it "almost" perfectly works out to 1" per hundred yards. It's not 1 inch, but it's close enough to it that for shooting purposes it's good enough.

Mil's work with any system. 1/10 of a meter at 100 meters, or 1/10th of a yard at 100 yards. Works with metric and standard. 36" in a yard, 1/10th of that is 3.6 inches at a hundred.

Technically MOA adjustments are slightly finer at .25 inches at a hundred instead of .36 inches, but for any shooting purposes, it's not enough of a difference to be worth fussing over. That difference is 1" at 1000 yards.

I prefer mils just because everything is base 10 and it's very easy to do quick calculations, especially if you use meters instead of yards. With a bit of practice it's easy to tell how many clicks you are off, although it's not as intuitive right off the bat as MOA is, I think it's worth the small little hurdle.

Just use what suits you best, avoid converting one to the other.Like someone already said use JBM calculations and change the the dropbox from MOA to Mil/rad to get your trajectory chart.If you already have rifles with MOA or Mil/Rads it may be easier to stick with what you have.There is no real advantage between either.

Four of us shoot together in my family. 2 have mils and 2 have moa.. They both work great..