mil/mil scope?

Are you telling me you've never missed placing a first shot right where you wanted it on an animal and have never had a need for a second shot?
Of course I miss shots, but no, I will never have a need for a second shot.
I don't hunt because I 'need' to..
But I would hike an extra mile, crossing fencelines, streams, and climbing, all the while drained by mosquitoes, to gain 200yds favor on my mark. One shot means that much to me.
For me, this is the challenge(the hook) in long range 'hunting'. It's quite the opposite of long range 'shooting'.

So far the arguments I hear for MILs is follow-up, perhaps from a spotter's call, and less dialing due to lower resolution.
I'm surprised someone didn't risk to venture into MIL ranging, as though worth a ****. Anyway, either IPHY or MOA standards can suit your needs just as well without pressuring hunting scopemakers to provide otherwise. You have plenty of tactical brands to chose from.

Yes I'm biased. You got me there.

I would love to buy the Nightforce, but see, $1000 is the budget, $1200 is what I figure I can get away with, $1400 may mean moving to the dog pen.

For me I'd consider going to the dog pen for a short time and while I'm there I'd be smiling about that $1400 Nightforce that will be my rifle for a long time.:D

Last edited:
either IPHY or MOA standards can suit your needs just as well without pressuring hunting scopemakers to provide otherwise. You have plenty of tactical brands to chose from.
The number of Mil/Mil tactical scopes available for less than $2K you can count on one hand. The number of scopes available with duplex reticles and 1/4 MOA clicks is many hundreds, if not thousands. I really don't see how a couple more Mil scopes becoming available will "ruin" anything for you.

it would appear that JPW475 is multiplying MOA by 0.3 to get Mils. The actual multiplier is 0.29088... That's over a 3% conversion error. Does it matter? It would put the shot 7.5 inches high at 1000 yards in this case.

I am not multipling anything, I' m stating a fact. I have a Mil/Mil scope on one rifle that takes 6.9 Mils to get to 1K at sea level and I have a MOA/MOA scope on another rifle that that takes 23 MOA to get to 1K

I prefer Mil/Mil it is that simple, not even one revolution to get to 1K. Nothing to mulitiply

forester, sorry, i obviously misunderstood your post. i dont think its a question of filling the freezer either. in fact in this camp its hunt long range or nothing, because thats all weve done for about 40 years. MIKECR, the spot and stalk system you mention certainly wouldnt work everywhere. here for example we glass from ridge to ridge and quite often theres a river or large stream in the valley below. we shoot from where we spot. as for only 1 shot, thats a myth, whitetail deer rarely run off after shots are fired.

No problem, I get a little bothered sometimes in threads where a person askes about a product he "wants" and someone else tells him what he wants is irrelevant and something else is what he "needs". Not that that is exactly how you came across, but it was the trend in this thread.

For others in this thread, it never ceases to amaze me that a person can ask a specific question, and instead of answers they get arguments that barely relate. Ever watched a beauty pagent where some airhead contestant answers a question that was not actually asked? Does it seem reasonable to tell someone you don't know who asked something specific that not only do they not need it, but they should not want it, and it somehow harms you that they do?

For example: If a person were to hypothetically ask, Are there any mil/mil scopes out there with good glass in xxxx price range? A reasonable answer might be yes but very few here is one I like...

If a person asked, how fine scope adjustments should be, or if it matters that a reticle and turrets don't match in units, or if there are too many scope options out there...you might just answer that question with your best relevant opinion.

Last edited:
I'm just getting into real long range hunting so please forgive if my questions irritate. Also this probably should initiate under new topic, but I've been unable to find instructions regarding that...

I want to dial the distance to hold the reticule on the target--not guesstimate using holdover--already had a lifetime of that. While my targets are large the range is long and sometimes in poor light, but most times I can shoot from a solid platform. Millet offers their 6-25x56 with a 35mm tube, but only mil-dot reticule. Using a 12" kill zone at 400 to 1400 yards would their scope work?

And what's the advantages & disadvantages of .1 mill adj. opposed to 1/4 moa?

I'm just getting into real long range hunting so please forgive if my questions irritate. Also this probably should initiate under new topic, but I've been unable to find instructions regarding that...

I want to dial the distance to hold the reticule on the target--not guesstimate using holdover--already had a lifetime of that. While my targets are large the range is long and sometimes in poor light, but most times I can shoot from a solid platform. Millet offers their 6-25x56 with a 35mm tube, but only mil-dot reticule. Using a 12" kill zone at 400 to 1400 yards would their scope work?

And what's the advantages & disadvantages of .1 mill adj. opposed to 1/4 moa?

Probably ought to start a new thread since this one is 2 years old and lots of the scope specs have changed and opinions have as well.

click on the forum button in the brown colored header at the top of the page. Choose the forum you would like to post to and click. When that page opens there will be a "New Thread" botton on the top left. click it. Then fill out the title and message and submit!

Easy as pie!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts