Mil-dot for odd ball job

subsonic

Hi all,
I am looking for a mil-dot reticle scope to put on a Ruger 77/44 with a tensioned barrel 1 3/4" suppressor tube. I have already modified a stock into a A4 style stock.
I am limited to a 1" main tube due to the difficulty of finding rings high enough to clear the suppressor tube. I have room for upto a 40mm AO front lens assembly, I don't see the need to go any bigger as light gathering will be OK, I also don't want the weight to get too high.
I would like a 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 so that I have the ability to see well enough to precisely place a cast 300gn bullet into a pigs head out to 150m, I don't see this being a problem as I am already able to hit a 1/2 grown rabbit 85+% of the time out to 140m under all conditions in upto 20+mph winds, a pigs head is a lot bigger than a 1/2 grown rabbit.
I would prefer a reticle magnifying scope so that I can range/use holdovers and windage on any power rather than be limited to the top power with a non magnifying reticle.
So far the only scope I have found is a Weaver tactical 3-9x40 or 4.5-14x40 the most obvious downside is that the 4.5-14x40 weighs 25.75oz's versus a Grand slam at 17.5oz's. Are they a reticle moving scope? in relation to does the reticle move off centre as you adjust to zero it.
Anyone know of any other scopes that are reticle magnifying, I would prefer to stay under $500US.
Will anyone ship mil-dot scopes out of the USA? Or is that still a hassle.
If I have to I can modify a set of rings to make a sloped set.
NB: To get on target at 100m I need about 20" of elevation with subsonic ammo and 7" with a full power load.

Relevance of a subsonic 44 mag on a long range forum. Sighted in at 85m with a 300gn subsonic cast lead bullet the drop at 125m is 2mils at 250m is 9.8mils & in the wind it will drift 2moa at 125m & 3.9moa at 250m.
If we compare this to a lapua 139gn 6.5mm scenar doing 3100fps at the muzzle sighted in at 300m we get drop at 600m 2.3mils & at 1200m 9.6 mils & in the wind at 600m 2moa & at 1200m 5moa.
From the above we can see that shooting a subsonic 44magnum out to 250m approximates the drop and windrift characteristics of a 6.5/284 shooting lapua 139gn scenars out to 1200m.
This is why I am looking for a scope that would be typically used on a long range rifle.

Sounds like a neat project--I doubt anyone was questioning relavence, I just think no one really knew--anyway, interesting numbers on the 44--i am considering the same project in the future.

Im going next weekend to pick up my 223 can made by Advanced Armament Corp. Only 3-1/2 months wait here in the USA!!
wink.gif

I thing the Gen II mil-dot from premier reticlesHERE might stay consistant with magnification. If not im sure they can help you with what you're looking for.

On a cheaper note Simmons made (may still) a 4-12? Diamond Mag scope. the reticle magnified with the power--it wasnt mils but it had holdover marks.

Also i think the springfield armory scopes do that also--nevermind, 56mm obj.

Also, leupold makes super high rings for the ruger i believe. If you haven't looked at them, they may get you a little more room.

Premier Ret. can probably fix you up though.

HTH

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.