Mike Rock barrels???

PrimeTime

I was told that this guy makes barrels with cut rifling, in the exact method that Krieger uses. He is a one man operation and supposedly makes incredibly high quality barrels, one at a time.
Anyone have any experience with this guy's barrels?
Merry Christmas

He has quite a following and guns I've seen that had his barrels shoot VERY well.

I've heard he has some rather unique ideas that contribute to his following and the accuaray of his barrels.

George Gardner (GA Precision in Kansas City) is using Mike Rock barrels in .30 cal. and his rifles are superb shooters. They are cut rifled. Rock barrels are extremely accurate and also very easy to clean. Rock barrels have "5R" rifling - I will let some of the more experienced guys explain what "5R" stands for - something about a slight radius on the corner of the land facing the direction that the bullet will spin. All I know is that they will group tighter than I can hold.

Seems to me he supplied Remington or a military agency a bunch of barrels for sniper rifles and they became famous amoung guys who care about such things.

How does one get in touch with Mike Rock? I have never heard of him. Does he have a website? I should get my 300 Win Mag back this Friday. It has a Lothar Walther barrel. It is a sporter weight rifle to be used while on foot after big game. Hoping it will be very accurate. I just ordered another Walther barrel in 6mm to be installed on my long range varmint rifle (hoping to be able to connect out to about 800 yards). I plan to have it chambered to 243 Win. It is a 1:8 twist with the idea of shooting the Sierra 107 mk or Berger's 95 or 105 VLD. Rufous.

Mike Rock is indeed making barrels in Albany, Wisconsin. His is now a 2 man shop with super quality cut rifled barrels and a great line of buttoned ones too.
I use his barrels exclusively in my line of composite barrels. I selected his barrels for the consistency and accuracy. I can't afford 1 barrel out of 5 or 10 being a dog. The quality from his shop is better than anyone's "super duper match" grade.

He can be reached at 608-862-2357.
Rock Creeks Web site
[email protected]

Ian M is right on the money about what the 5R is. Obermeyer was the original maker of 5R barrels. Here is a quote from his website about the 5R.

"What does it mean when a barrel is said to be a "5R"?

5R is the form of rifling I developed for use in most target barrels and in many sporting barrels.
These barrels have 5 grooves, and the lands have angular sides. I have observed that bullet jackets
will deform such that they remain closer to the R-form lands than they will to the sharp-edged
lands present in conventional-style rifling. This reduces powder fouling at the corners of the
grooves. The angled form of the lands also helps to reduce jacket failures in quick-twist barrels."

Rock's making some awesome barrels, and if I have my facts right I believe Mike Rock use to work for Obermeyer.

I was told that this guy makes barrels with cut rifling, in the exact method that Krieger uses. He is a one man operation and supposedly makes incredibly high quality barrels, one at a time.
Anyone have any experience with this guy's barrels?
Merry Christmas

Mike's barrels are some of the best in the industry. Not sure about using the exact same method as Krieger??? Mike actually trained and learned the trade from Boot's Obermeyer who many believe is the best of best of the US barrel makers.

BTW, Mike is not a one man operation, he has a very quite side kick named Kim.

As Ian stated George at GAP uses a ton of Mike's barrels. I've owned two and both shot extermly well with little fouling and simple clean up.

This is one of those decisions you'll never regret if you go with one of his barrels.

actually the R stands for "Russian" which is where this style of rifling originated.
i have one of his barrels on my Edge, and at this point, i would not consider putting another manufacturers barrel on a gun unless i couldn't get one of his.

I use a large number of Rock Creek barrels. In my experience they are the best there is for 308 and 338 cal projects.
I have not used many of his other calibers, but the 308s and 338LAIs I build here all with RC barrels consistently deliver 1/4 moa accuracy, which is something I have not experienced with most barrels. Usually you get some that shoot incredibly well and others that do not. Having used about 100 of Mikes barrels in 2007, I have yet to have 1 not perform incredibly well.
From a gun makers point of view , they tool extremely well and need virtually no exterior refinishing once the machine work is done.
They clean easier than any barrel I have ever used.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.