Mike Rock barrel break-in

Ian M

Understand that the suggested barrel break-in procedure for Mike Rock 5R barrels is twenty consecutive shots, no cleaning. Then a good cleaning.

Anybody done that break-in?
What is the cleaning procedure and requirement after the 20 shots?
Very interested to hear any comments.

I just did the old one shot and clean method until it took half as much time to come clean. I believe it was 6 shot or thereabouts when it went to 2 patches from 5 or 6.

I finished up to ten shots then fired 5 shots and cleaned to finish up the few rounds I had left in the ammo box.

In other words, I did the break-in on that barrel the same I do on all my barrels. Hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have 2 Rock barrels, one on a 6.5x284 and one on a .308, both built by GAP. I broke them in per GAP's instructions. I cleaned after every shot until they quit copper and powder fouling.

On the 6.5x284, the barrel fouled horribly, with no noticable difference until the 8th shot, after which it required around 20 passes with a brush with SC. I followed that with 50BMG and it came out totally clean. It was like a veil was lifted after that 8th shot, and it continues to clean down to bare metal very easily.

The .308 was slightly different. After each shot it cleaned up easier and easier, up to the 6th shot where it was broken in as far as I was concerned. It went from the first round down the barrel requiring 100 passes with a brush with SC to get the powder fouling out and 3-4 times with 50BMG to get the copper out to requiring only 20passes with the brush and SC for powder fouling and 1 time with 50BMG. It continues to clean up very easily as well.

These are the only 2 custom rifles I own, but I have had great luck with Rock barrels and GAP as well. Both rifles will consistently shoot 1/2 min @ 1000yds. in a no-wind condition, for 3-5 shots.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

JimD

Ian,

What Mike Rock sugests is using Sentry Solutions "Moly burnishing powder" You have to prep the barrel first, then fire the 20 rounds, clean afterwards. I have done this on the last two Rock barrels and even used it on a stubborn bbl i have. The other barrel had a fouling problem that just wouldn't go away. After fully cleaning the barrel and using the moly powder system, i fired the 20 shots as before, now the barrel went from .7 groups to .2 Im a believer. Plus with the armorers kit you get enough supplies to do 20 rifles, apply it to firing pin springs, comes with moly grease for locking lugs, ect. I cleaned my rem 700 triggers and then applied the moly-alcohol solution to the trigger, when it dries it leaves a film of moly. The trigger pull was greatly improved.

Dave

So what happens after you break-in a barrel with Sentry Solutions sauce? Do you continue to use it? If you don't continue to use it will your accuracy fade? Or is this stuff used just for break-in?

Sentry Solutions

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.