Midweight 7's in a SA Savage

Using the common inputs plus the atmosphere I'd hunt the 168 ABLR @2800 is better than 2000fps/1500ftlbs/1 Mil of drift at 700 yards at the low elevations, 825 on the high end. I think that's plenty. More than enough by a bunch of yards.

Using the common inputs plus the atmosphere I'd hunt the 168 ABLR @2800 is better than 2000fps/1500ftlbs/1 Mil of drift at 700 yards at the low elevations, 825 on the high end. I think that's plenty. More than enough by a bunch of yards.

That has been my thinking too. I'm running a 25" barrel, but that is still easy to handle in the woods and the rifle carries well. If I need more gun than what I have I probably need to step up to a 338. It can handle shooting farther than I would most likely care to shoot.

That has been my thinking too. I'm running a 25" barrel, but that is still easy to handle in the woods and the rifle carries well. If I need more gun than what I have I probably need to step up to a 338. It can handle shooting farther than I would most likely care to shoot.
Right. By the internet industry standard of keyboard elk shooting that's still making a full, legs-up, dead junebug out of a bull way past my ability to make a shot in the wind.

I'm pretty alright with .4" in the powder space, you're still getting as good as I'm after. Based on eyeballing their shapes the jump tolerance makes sense. I'm also glad to hear about the 4831sc. that I can always find, 2020 aside. That's usually the last slow-mid powder on the shelf and its treated me really well. I need to study the saami chamber again and see what that looks like. Overall you've swung the pendulum of indecision back to the .284, I thought what you're saying was theoretically possible but I hadn't heard of it. It seems like everyone fixates on what it COULD be and writes it off but in a 3" mag it's exactly where I want to be. If I want more spank than 168g/bc .616/ SD .3 @ 2800 then I'm going .30 cal, no second thought.
Peterson is making very good hard brass now

A few of the posters said they thought a long action would be an interesting choice for the 284 Win with the longer heavier bullets. I had always wondered about that too. A friend was thinning his collection and I acquired his LA Rem chambered in 284 with a longer throat. Barrel is a #5 SS Lilja, fluted, 1 in 7 twist 28.5" long in a synthetic stock with a bedding block. (there is a story with this barrel that doesn't need to be addressed now. I will say it was once a 30" 7mm STW in its first life) The 180 Berger hybrid heel/bearing surface junction is a bit above the case's shoulder/neck junction when seated .010" into the lands. Just began working up some loads, using H4831 and RL-17. Fed 210 match with neck turned 284 win brass. Loaded ammo has a .310" neck . This reamer has a .3165" neck. At least I able to use the same K and N turner setup and bushings for both 284s.

So far I am hovering just under an inch for five shots with both powders. Best so far is 54 gr of H4831 for 2830 fps and 52 gr of RL-17 for 2890 fps. Finally able to get to the range again today and will try seating depth increments with the RL-17 load to see if I can tighten up the group size.

I think this 1 in 7 twist barrel might do well with 195s but in the deal I got a dozen boxes of 180 gr Bergers and am not interested in spending any more money on components right now.

If you are working in a short action either the 7x6.5Prc or 7 saum is better. But you need to run a 3 inch wyatts box in them too. I might get a lot of hate here but the 284 to really go needs a long action and the correct throat to run.
I have been exploring the 7-6.5 PRC idea.
if set up properly will be no longer than the 7-08 with 160 class or lighter bullets but with the punch of a long action 284
case capacity with gunwerks brass necked up 69.4
Lapua 6.5-284 necked up 68.5
for dies using 6.5 PRC bushing die with bushing change and 7SAUM seater nothing special all off the shelf

Anybody who chimed in ever try a 7-08 or 284 with the 175 or 180g Hornadys? I assume they're too long to even make single loading a reasonable proposition with saami chambers, but I just got to wondering.

Just to provide the boringest update ever I've now got funds lined up but haven't pressed the button yet. I keep waffling on who to buy it from. I was waiting for Northland/criterion to have a sale but they didn't. I am really kicking myself for not getting an x-caliber when they had a 25 percent off black friday deal. I saw 2 negative reviews in a row and balked. Turns out most people have great luck with them and a lot of independent prefitters are using their blanks. I also balked at an HS precision stock on deep sale but I feel less bad about that. The old black, non-accufit accustock isn't a puke and I've got a rock maple stock mostly inletted.

I also keep thinking I might just grab nasty old long action savage and start from scratch on a 280AI or '06 but that's probably a different years project.

Anyway I hope everyone's having a nice start to the holidays. Anyone doing anything fun with the ammo they stashed away? Public pheasant was a bust for me and my new bird dog but we just met a guy today who's gonna show me a couple chukar spots so the seasons not over.

If you are working in a short action either the 7x6.5Prc or 7 saum is better. But you need to run a 3 inch wyatts box in them too. I might get a lot of hate here but the 284 to really go needs a long action and the correct throat to run.
I am more interested in the SAUM than I was a few weeks ago, mainly because I'm less interested in keeping it as a switchbarrel rig than I was. One of my concerns with the SAUM is whether or not it downloads well. I'm really not after all the horsepower it has and I worry it is one of those cartridges that wants to be at 98-102 percent for good ES. Any idea if that's a real concern or am I reading too much into the book data?

Anybody who chimed in ever try a 7-08 or 284 with the 175 or 180g Hornadys? I assume they're too long to even make single loading a reasonable proposition with saami chambers, but I just got to wondering.

I have gone up to the 168gr Sierra Matchkings for competition and recently started developing loads for the 168gr Berger Classic Hunter and VLDH on our 7mm-08's. Anything heavier I think the bullet is just too long.

Stay safe

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.