Mid weight rifle build

RDHammond

Looking to build a 6.5-06 improved or .280 Ackley on a Remington long action and would like to keep the weight between 8-8.5 lbs.

Potential build specs:
Remington LA w/BDL BM +trigger 44oz
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 20oz
Talley LW 30mm 2oz
McMillan Classic Edge fill 24oz
Brux #3 @24"-25" ? 48oz

Looks like 8.625 lbs. Close... but I'd like to be closer to 8lbs.

If there any discrepancies on the above weights please let me know.

I'm just guessing on the Brux. They list 3 lbs for a #3. Not sure at what length of barrel they list the weight for. Is that the blank weight before chambering? Im assuming they are using a .30 cal tube for weight estimate as well.

Any advice and or information appreciated. If anyone has had a similar rifle built I'd love to hear your opinions on balance and how she shoots. Thanks

Russ

.280AI

R700 LA BDL trued by AxisWorks
Alloy bolt shroud (-2oz)
Carbon fiber bolt knob (-2oz)
Fluted bolt (-1oz)
Proof Research Sendero Light @ 26" (they say 3lbs before any work done, so comparable)
Hawkins 3 port brake
Manners EH1
Shilen Match trigger
Seekins 20MOA Picatinny alloy rail
Seekins 30mm Medium alloy rings (switched from Seekins 30mm low rings on other scope)
March F 3-24x52mm (switched from Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15x50)

With Premier=8lbs 15oz
With March=8lbs 13oz

As it sits now

Before w. Premier

Shoots just fine. I have 2 loads. A "lighter" load for shooting a lot. 160 TMK @ 2910fps. And a hunting load shooting a 175 Berger @ 2975fps.

175 @ 2975fps before sight in (3 shots)

175 @ 2975 After sight in (3 shots-don't mind the .17" hole)

3 shots @ 921 yards

160 TMK @ 2910fps

.280AI

R700 LA BDL trued by AxisWorks
Alloy bolt shroud (-2oz)
Carbon fiber bolt knob (-2oz)
Fluted bolt (-1oz)
Proof Research Sendero Light @ 26" (they say 3lbs before any work done, so comparable)
Hawkins 3 port brake
Manners EH1
Shilen Match trigger
Seekins 20MOA Picatinny alloy rail
Seekins 30mm Medium alloy rings (switched from Seekins 30mm low rings on other scope)
March F 3-24x52mm (switched from Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15x50)

With Premier=8lbs 15oz
With March=8lbs 13oz

As it sits now

Before w. Premier

Shoots just fine. I have 2 loads. A "lighter" load for shooting a lot. 160 TMK @ 2910fps. And a hunting load shooting a 175 Berger @ 2975fps.

175 @ 2975fps before sight in (3 shots)

175 @ 2975 After sight in (3 shots-don't mind the .17" hole)

3 shots @ 921 yards

160 TMK @ 2910fps
Wow! Thanks. Your rifle looks great and shoots even better!

Just built a similar .280 Ackley, a tad heavier than your specs.

Stiller LA/20 MOA base
PTG aluminum bottom metal
Brux #5 fluted, 22"
Tbac brake
Atlas bipod rail
AG composites M50 (32 oz)

Weighs 7.8 lbs empty with no scope or bipod on a bathroom scale. Haven't weighed it with any scopes on it.

With your specs, you should come pretty close to your goal. Pretty sure Brux weights are based on a 26" barrel, so you may shave a few ounces there.

Just built a similar .280 Ackley, a tad heavier than your specs.

Stiller LA/20 MOA base
PTG aluminum bottom metal
Brux #5 fluted, 22"
Tbac brake
Atlas bipod rail
AG composites M50 (32 oz)

Weighs 7.8 lbs empty with no scope or bipod on a bathroom scale. Haven't weighed it with any scopes on it.

With your specs, you should come pretty close to your goal. Pretty sure Brux weights are based on a 26" barrel, so you may shave a few ounces there.

Thanks for the specs. The more information the better. Sounds like it will be a shooter.

Thanks for the specs. The more information the better. Sounds like it will be a shooter.

Shoots real good. This is my second Brux barrel, they have both been excellent.

Good luck with your build, sounds like a good plan. Obviously I lean .280 AI but the 6.5-06 would be fun too.

I'm just guessing on the Brux. They list 3 lbs for a #3. Not sure at what length of barrel they list the weight for. Is that the blank weight before chambering? Im assuming they are using a .30 cal tube for weight estimate as well.

A 24" 7mm #3 Brux will weigh about 52 ounces. A 6.5mm will weigh about an ounce more.

I built a 7mag last year
Rem700LA
Fluted bolt
Lilja #3 fluted slim brake
McMillan game scout edge fill
Hinged floorplate
3pos safety
Nothing specific to make it lighter
6-15 with talleys

Only thing I'd add is to make sure you get the extended Talley mounts. It pushes the front ring 3/8 of an inch towards the rear. It's tough to fit the 2.5-10 NXS on a long action without a pic rail.