Mid range rifle suggestion

bwheels

Looking for a new rifle that I can zero and remain consistent at 200 yards for smaller game like woodchucks, coyote etc. smaller than 30-06, and ammo on the cheaper side so you can afford to shoot often. preferably semi auto but not opposed to bolt action. suggestions?

There are some pretty tight shooting semis out. Used to be if your were going for accuracy... you really needed a good bolt, but those days are changing. The issue is that you will have to pay for it. DPMS... sweet 16 is pretty affordable and a good shooter with cheap ammo. If you are looking for inexpensive though... the savage hog hunter 223 foots the bill pretty well. Comes in around $400 or so, has a semi contured heavy barrel, threaded, and mine shoots fiocchi match at .3x over and over again. I was stunned. If you're just shooting yotes and chucks, 223 is about as inexpensive as it gets for ammo, and its available everywhere.

Your broad question could lead to a lot of good answers. IF bolt... a 22-250 can drive tacks. Little more for ammo... but lot more velocity driving it also. Some might suggest a 243... another good round, which would take you up to medium sized deer if you ever decided to go that route.

Whatever you decide to get, I'd just be sure that you can easily get ammo for it. Nothing worse than having a gun that you want to use, but can't, because you can't find cartridges. (why I stayed with fairly common rounds for your answer).

Good luck and have fun!!

.223 is real common in auto rifles. 22-250 will give you more velocity. If you go bolt action I would go with the 22-250, I don't think I've ever seen one in an auto loader.

Looking for a new rifle that I can zero and remain consistent at 200 yards for smaller game like woodchucks, coyote etc. smaller than 30-06, and ammo on the cheaper side so you can afford to shoot often. preferably semi auto but not opposed to bolt action. suggestions?

if only going to 200 yards dang...that leaves a lot of options but id be hard pressed to not use an AR15 of some sort. I have shot a few of my buddies and they shot very well and accurate out to 200yards. 3 inch groups were common with most ammo he had. His were just your run of the mill ARs...by no means the top shelf expesnive ones. Unfortunately I live in NY where ARs are now ILLEGAL unless you had one before the ban which you now have to register!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God I hate this state.

I would just get a 223 bolt action with a good scope. I would like to try the new Mosburg riflle. They have hit the nail on the head coming out with a rifle that uses
Ar-15 mags. They even make one in 308. All the reviews are good that I have seen,

If you cannot have an AR I'd go with a 22-250 Savage FV. I own one and it is a tack driver. Last year I bought a .223 Axis that is no slouch at 200 yards. Toss a coin.

You can get a semi auto 22-250. not sure if there is a factory gun available, but you can build one on an AR-10 platform. For cheap ammo though, I would go with a standard .223 AR. My Dad has one with a match barrel that shoots 1/2 moa 5 shot groups at 200yds.

if only going to 200 yards dang...that leaves a lot of options but id be hard pressed to not use an AR15 of some sort. I have shot a few of my buddies and they shot very well and accurate out to 200yards. 3 inch groups were common with most ammo he had. His were just your run of the mill ARs...by no means the top shelf expesnive ones. Unfortunately I live in NY where ARs are now ILLEGAL unless you had one before the ban which you now have to register!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God I hate this state.

I do love the AR15. I am former army reserve I have put several thousand rounds through my M4 over the years and I too am a New York resident so I just don't see the point in buying one in this state when they can be so costly and I've more than shot my fair share of that weapon. However I would be interested in something similar in overall capabilities, effective range, weight, and most Important to me would be trigger weight. Thanks for the feedback

Sig 516 is probably the best, most accurate AR platform rifle on the market. It would be ideal for your chose n application. Step it up to the 716 if you want something that will also make you a nice deer rifle.

You will always be able to find .223 and .308 ammo at affordable prices and if you buy in bulk you can get some great deals.

When I was looking for a small game rifle I considered all the smaller cartridges but settled on the .223 Rem for availability of reloading components, especially brass. I bought a used Howa 1500 and put a 4-16X40 Burris scope on top.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.