Microlon Gun Juice

X-man

Anybody here use it?

Rumor has it that it reduces fouling/cleaning time and helps barrels last longer...At least that is what I heard.

Just curious.

Until someone says otherwise I will be sticking with wipeout.

Thanks in advance!

Snakeoil.

Yes I have tried it.

There have been a few outlandish claims about this product.

If it sounds too good to be true........................

Snakeoil.

Yes I have tried it.

There have been a few outlandish claims about this product.

If it sounds too good to be true........................

I don't see the product itself making claims that are very impressive at all. The wording doesn't seem outlandish. Who knows how well it works. What was your experience?

long ranger (Alberta Tactical Rifle) seems to have quite a track record of very good results with it. I'd be curious to hear others experience as I just bought some to try out. I've got a test in mind for it with a high round count 300RUM. I'll post back when I get a chance to finally shoot it over the chrono while applying the stuff.

Anybody here use it?

Rumor has it that it reduces fouling/cleaning time

Thanks in advance!

I've applied it to four of my rifles over the past two weeks. So far I can confirm that it substantially reduces copper fouling and barrel cleaning time/effort. The stuff is laying down a coating on the surface of the rifle bore. It's rather time consuming to apply because you have to clean out all copper/carbon fouling before initial treatment, and again after each shot for ~20 additional shots in stainless barrels. If you don't clean well before treatment, you'll cover the copper and carbon fouling with the resin rather than laying the resin down directly on top of the bore itself.

I'll be chronographing again in the near future and I'll then learn if the Gun Juice has resulted in any changes in MV.

Whether or not it improves throat life, I may never learn, because I don't shoot enough to shoot the throats out of my barrels - generally speaking. On the other hand I recently purchased a 25 RUM and that's one of the barrels I treated with Gun Juice. If there was ever a fire-breathing, throat-burning cartridge, this might be it.

This Gun Juice sounds alot like moly coating. Same characteristics. Longer barrel life, added velocity, easier cleaning, etc.

There will always be some kind of wonder coating for guns and bullets. It's always been that way. Remember Lubalox? Same concept.

If you use it and it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, by all means use it.

I don't know if it makes me "warm and fuzzy" but I've never had an easier time cleaning my barrels.

I understand about easy cleaning. It's great not worrying about fouling.

I've got a couple AR's that are dedicated to moly and after firing a few dozen bullets I just run a couple of Kroil soaked patches and I'm good for another few dozen.

I believe a fringe benefit of the thorough application of the Gun Juice bore treatment is that a weather protective coating is laid down in the bore. Even stainless can corrode if you get it around the salt water/ocean. Some of my hunts include boat travel and salt water exposure, so I expect it will help protect the bore from corrosion, as well.

Shot my 300 Win Mag over the chronographs recently. The muzzle velocity increased about 45 fps in this Lilja 25.5" long barrel after treatment with Gun Juice. 210 Berger VLDs now starting at 2967 fps. 74.0 gr IMR 7828 - Federal GM210M primers in Lapua 300 Win Mag brass.

Shot my 7mm RM over the chronograph also. The muzzle velocity remained approximately the same in this Tikka T3 24 3/8" long barrel after treatment with Gun Juice. 168 Berger VLDs with a MV of 3055 fps. 74.8 gr Retumbo - Federal GM210M primers.

There was a very substantial increase in MV with the 300 WM. Not much change in the 7mm RM. These were the very same cartridges I'd loaded and shot prior to treatment of the bore with Gun Juice.

Dual chronograph setup. One an Oehler 33. One a PACT. I run two at a time with a separation of 6' on the Oehler skyscreens and 4' 6" on the PACT skyscreens.

I could be completely wrong here but most all the information I have gathered about "gun juice" is added fps is more of a positive byproduct than it is the sole purpose. The positive effects "gun juice" has by coating the inside of the barrel/s seems to be its main purpose. I'm all for free fps too though.

I have a couple new builds in the works that I am seriously considering starting off with "gun juice".

Has anyone by chance talked to any of the actual barrel manufactures about "gun juice" ? I know typically the manufacturers aren't big on putting anything in their barrels. If anyone has talked to them about this product it would be great to know what they had to say about it.

I don't disagree on the added velocity hype. The company has thrown that carrot out there to lure the undecideds to purchase their product - my opinion. I didnt purchase it to get extra velocity, although I'm happy as a lark to have obtained it in my 300 Win Mag.

I'm no help as to what barrel manufacturers have to say about the product. I doubt many of the barrel manufacturers have ever heard about it, since most gunsmiths haven't heard of it either. But here's a thought to consider. If it lengthens barrel life, do you think they're really going to say they want people using it??? That would have been like GM building vehicles that wouldn't rust out in road-salt Michigan for 30 years back in the 1970s, instead of the typical 4-year rust through body panels.

My only concern, having used Gun Juice, is that one has to make sure the bore is clean-clean-clean, before continued applications because you'll just be coating the dirt/carbon/copper in the bore otherwise. For stainless barrels, it is recommended to clean - treat - shoot one round repeatedly 20 times. This is a tedious & laborious process. A process I believe the instructions don't really emphasize satisfactorily - possibly because it's a time consuming process and people don't want to hear that part of the bargain.

To the best of my knowldege and observation, Gun Juice lays down a very fine layer of resin during each shot and it takes 20 shots to throughly coat a stainless bore. I could tell the bore was cleaning up easier and easier as the multiple applications continued. A person wouldn't want to lay the resin down on top of a coppered bore, because then the internal dimensions of the bore will match the copper buildup rather than the manufactured dimensions.

The gunsmith in Canada that originally posted on the product on this Forum said he saw greatly increased throat life, and he's been treating his client's bores for years. He made no mention of any serious problems associated with the products use. I'm impressed with it based on my personal use to date.

So far I see no problems other than the time it takes to treat a bore. The good I see is my bores foul more slowly, clean up much quicker, I've gained 45fps MV in my 300 WM, and I believe that my bores are now more weather resistant than they would be without the Gun Juice treatment. Since my rifles see ocassional skiff duty on the ocean, I'll take any additional bore corrosion protection I can get.

For those that might be wondering - I absolutely do not sell Gun Juice or make money on it. I've purchased one 4 oz can for about $30.00 and have treated 4 different rifle barrels to date. It looks like there's enough product remaining to treat an additional 6 rifle bores, depending on the bore diameter. Small bores use much less product during the application process than the big-bores.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.