Microlon Gun Juice

jpbaker

Hey guys,

I came across this "gun juice" the other day. I have been doing a bit of reasearch, and i guess the only other question i have is this.....

If i do see velocity increase....is this permenant or does this depend on future treatments with gun juice.

Im am for all the velocity i can get, but not at the expense of my velocity deteriorating and changing my POI over time.

The reason im wanting to do this is my 300wm fouls terrible...

TKS
JPB

Here's my thoughts on your situation.

I doubt than any material in "your" 300 WM will noticeably reduce the fouling.

If it fouls that much I'd recommend at least a partial Tubbs Final Finish process. Something like using 1/2 of each group of Tubbs bullets and not using the most course ones at all.

As far as the juice and velocity goes if friction goes down, pressure goes down, velocity goes down. If this is the case then the juice is doing something. To return to original velocity an increase in powder charge would be necessary. (Has been know to start arguments:))

The stuff I tried required a barrel treatment after each shot. Not worth the effort.

Google on hBN for rifle barrels. I'm gonna try that next. :)

I had never come across the tubbs bullets before. That sounds more resaonable.

If i buy the kit, do you use all 50rds or can you get away with like 20rds like with the loaded ammo. Just trying to figure out how many I need to order for my 300wm + 308

TKS
JPB

Last edited:
I'd recommend at least a partial Tubbs Final Finish process. Something like using 1/2 of each group of Tubbs bullets and not using the most course ones at all.

I think you already answered that one!

Need to read better :rolleyes:

TKS
JPB

I think you already answered that one!

Need to read better :rolleyes:

TKS
JPB

:D:D:D

Split one full meal deal into 2 half meal deals. Again I'd leave out the most course bunch. No real good reason as the full meal deal is reported to remove only 0.0004" if material, I think. . .

Last edited:
I did a pretty good test on a couple of rifles a couple of years ago. And I didn't see any significant increase in velocity. I used it for breaking a couple of used rifles that were bad foulers and the break-in improved that a little but I wouldn't necessarily credit gun juice with it.

If you try it, be careful not to leave any wet juice in the bore as the instructions say you should. That is dangerous, unless you are using a greatly reduced load. I know this from experience.

In the long run, not worth the time, effort and $$ IME.

I'm going to give some custom barrels a melonite nitride treatment which i have read a lot of good things about. but that needs to be done on a new or almost new barrel.

Good luck,

Mark

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/microlon-gun-juice-report-51469/

Re: Microlon Gun Juice - Chrome-lined bore

So I changed my mind and decided to Gun Juice treat my 5.56 AR15. It's a factory CMMG M4 carbine model with the factory chrome-lined barrel. I chronographed the first three rounds fired out of the rifle several years ago, prior to Gun Juice treatment. When I'm done with the GJ treatment, I'll fire a couple more of the same factory rounds, and compare MV to the velocities I recorded several years ago in the untreated factory barrel.

I'm still applying the GJ treatment and am going to fire another 4 rounds down the bore before calling it good. I can hardly believe the HUGE reduction in copper fouling I experienced by the 8th shot fired on the Gun Juice treated bore. This is a rifle I don't shoot much (shot it 4 times in 3 years). But when I finally decided to clean the bore after having fired those 4 rounds down the bore several years ago, it was copper fouled so bad I decided to apply the GJ and see what became of the copper fouling in this chrome-lined carbine length AR15 barrel. This is the first chrome-lined bore I've treated with Gun Juice. Copper fouling after the 8th shot fired is just about nonexistent, especially compared to the copper fouling experienced following the first 4 rounds fired.

I've moved on to melonite treatment for new barrels in the future. I decided to treat this chrome-line bore because I had the GJ on hand, and the bore was fouling quite a lot of copper.

I'll say this about Gun Juice. Every barrel I've treated has resulted in reduced rates of fouling and much less time and effort to clean.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.