Michigan river salmon

gmkempf

My middle son went salmon fishing on some river in Michigan and did wonderful. I want to make this an annual thing for us. My question is what is the best rod and reel combo for this kind of fishing. He used egg sacks for bait. Thanks.

So what did you get for a salmon set up? Depending on the river longer rods work better 9-10 ft range with 8-10 lb test line should do it. For small rivers I use my 7 ft. walleye rod and reel. I would not use a power line, I like a little give when a fish makes a run the longer pole helps with that.

What size fish? How fast of waster? How were you fishing? Bottom bouncing or bobber? Are you on the bank or in a boat? Do you know how to cast a bait caster?

My favorite rods for salmon and steelhead rods are Lamiglas and Loomis. Both make some great rods. Both rods "feel" the bottom well and have enough backbone to set the hook. Bruce

The best rivers are:
Big Manistee
Little manistee
Pere Marquette
Muskegon
Black
Rogue
St. joe
I have an 8'6" and a 9'6" open face. Probably best for the banks.
My friend says trolling rods work well in boat bouncing back with egg sacks.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.