MI Bear hunt

GuadalupeSullivan

Hi I am new to the forum my daughter wants to go on a bear hunt. And I was looking for somewhere within driving distance from Indiana. It seemed Michigan was a good choice after doing some research. After contacting a guide I was informed I needed to start collecting preference points in Michigan to get drawn in the lottery. So waiting isn't an issue, but has anyone from out of state done this? Are there other states I should be considering? Thanks and happy hunting.

Personally I'm not a fan of drawings and points! They will never convince me that it's done fairly! After all these are "government" agency's! So if you get points each time you apply ($$$) why don't they just charge a set fee for a tag or just sell them at auction Get to the real point...Money...

Try Spring Bear in Montana !
Non Res.tag $ 350.00 over the counter ! No guide needed . The bears a larger in Michigan but we have the color phase here .
Beautiful country to see ! No baiting just spot and stalk. It's a long trip but it would be a great experience!!
Good luck in your choice !

Rum Man

......I would look more to the north......

I don't know how far you wish to drive, and my geography is rusty. You did mention guided, and I think this is better than walking in completely cold for most.

Black bear are increasing most places, as has been said the point system is largely a farce. Money is better spent driving past those states in my opinion. There are even legitimate 2 bear over the counter opportunities.

Decision one is how you wish to hunt, balanced against cost. Spot and stalk, bait, hounds? Timing, one can find just about any month if you research.

The Canadian hunts aren't much farther for you. There is a Bear Hunter Magazine that has good pictures, and a ton of ads that offer options coast to coast, and north to south.

As mentioned above, Ontario isnt that much farther, and you can get a tag easier. Michigan only allots about 2% of their tags to nonresidents. Do some searching and find a reputable outfitter in Ontario and take your fishing poles. Be careful on your choices as some take to many hunters and have been for years. Some use the rule of at least a four hour drive north of the border.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.