Message for Brent

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
Brent,

You talked earlier in a topic about a 30/338 Lapua Imp. I am waiting on a Lilja #7 straight taper in .308 bore to finish at 27" that has been ordered but not yet recieved. I was thinking about having it put to a 700 long action and was kicking the idea around of having it chambered in 30-338 Lapua vs. 300 Ultra simply due to brass quality and a little extra punch. My question to you is this, what is the differance between 30-338 Lapua and 30-338 Lapua Imp? Also how long have you used this rifle, how do you like it? How long is your barrel and what is your twist? Would you rather have the 300 Ultra and why or why not? Also, specifically what kind of accuracy are you getting? Last but not least, who was your smith? I assume it was the smith at Chimmo? or Homer on the "hillside" Thanks in advance for your help.

Meichele,

Dave Caboth at Nitro Gun Works (at Chimos) did the rifle.

I'd take it out and let you shoot it if the wind would let up some. You could tell me what you think of it. Maybe it'll let up before it gets cold again, I've been waiting to shoot for...... EVER lately!!

Without every detail, it has a 40 degree shoulder and measures .570" at the shoulder, and the neck length is .405". Capacity is about 117gr water.

The standard necked down 30/338 Lapua would be somewhere close to 110gr water. I think this 338 Lapua brass was 112gr before fire forming, I'd have to go back and look to be sure.

I think the standard necked down 338 Lapua would fall about the same as the Ultra in performance, a little more, a little less? But brass would be better, as well as bushing FL dies for the 338 Lapua might be able to be used for it, I would say yes.

I still prefer the IMP version, so I'm sticking with my design on the 338 I'm doing too.

The barrel I have is an 11 twist for 210gr - 220gr bullets, 240's don't stabilize, I've tried, and all went through sideways at 400 yards... groups were huge too.

Barrel is a 3 groove Lilja, 30", 1.35" dia.

I've almost got 100 rounds through it, 85 or so I think. I've got all the targets if you'd like to see 'em, pressure and MV data along with each.

I've got a 300 Ultra as well, but I like the 30/338 LI much better. This 338 Lapua brass is very nice stuff. It's probably 50-150 fps faster than the Ultra is, maybe more with the 180's. So that, along with the better brass, I felt was well worth it.

The thing has been chambered since the end of August, but I haven't shot it a whole lot for a number of reasons. It still isn't in the bbl block and stock it's going in, just been testing some loads with the ADL stock I had. I'm sure it'll shoot as good or better when it's properly bedded and not just bouncin around in the stock it's in now.

I'd be glad to share with you what I've got on it so far, which isn't a bunch, but might help you in your decision in some way. I've got to run back into Palmer tomarrow so, let me know if you'll be in the area and I'll hook you up with you somewhere with more details, data, etc if you'd like.

Hope that helps some.
smile.gif

Thanx for that info Brent. I am currently working on the Palmer Fred Meyer construction site. I dont know what your schedule is each day, but I get off between 400-430 pm at the latest. I could meet you there if possible any day this week. I drive the only brown work van on the site, that has "Raven Electric inc." on the side and back. I usualy park on the back side of the building. I would love to see it and some targets and maybee some cases. Thanx again.

Michael

PS. When doing testing I prefer to shoot when it is very cold because I can get across the rivers at Jim creek and there is ussually no wind when its real cold. For all around practice I dont care if its windy or not. When it gets cold I keep my gun and ammo in the truck and shoot a quick group while laying prone in the bed of the truck and then drive to the target and warm up! Then drive back and shoot some more.

[ 12-10-2003: Message edited by: meichele ]

Maybe tomarrow I can get back in there, just got the starter for my car and am back out here in the Butte now.

I don't mind shooting when it down near zero, but the testing I'm trying to get done on a few rifles right now really makes it a pain when it's below 25 or so. I've got an OK load that has shot well a couple times now that you could shoot, I'd like to see how it does way out there.

If it's on a weekend, I like to go up the river a ways to a spot I like where I can shoot 600 yards, ends up being too many people down by Jim Creek I'm having to wait on all the time. I'll go up to Friday Creek canyon to shoot 1000 yards.

I should wrap up this project by tonight or in the morning, so I'll be free for the weekend.

I've got to run this starter core back in to town tonight or tomarrow, I'll stop over and see if I can find you when I get in there.

I've got a meeting to go to tonight at 7pm, I'll see what things look like later this afternoon.

Also,

I had planned on going out to Knik this weekend. That might be a better time for both of us to hook up and shoot some. I only have the one 308 at this time, but its a real dandy of a rifle. Its similar to the M40A1 rifle, except it has the M24 twist of 11.25 vs the M40A1 twist of 12. This rifle has shot a .000 3 shot at 100 yards and a .341" at 300 yards. Thats not to say it does it all the time, but it never shoots bad. I have occasionaly taken this rifle to 1k and does very well. The current load I am using now I know quite well out to 600 and fairly well to 800 but need to learn it at 1k. I have no idea if the 178 AMAX will stay stable that far with the 2610 MV I am getting. The ballistic calculator says it should, but I have had other loads that "should have been" more than stable to 1k and went through sideways. So far the only 2 bullets Ive ever shot straight holes that far with are the 155 Palma and the 175 SMK. Not even the 180 SMK went straight. The 150 Nosler Ballistic tip went side ways also. Anyway, let me know if that would be a more convienient time.

Michael,
I stopped by, found the RE van, went in and looked all through the back of the FM building for ya, no dice. Was about 4pm. I went and dropped of the starter and your truck was gone about 4:35 when I came back by. I'll hook up with ya yet, I'm ready for some shooting. The 155 Palma works nice in this short barrel 308 of my sons too, it's not seen 1000 yards though, 800 a couple times I think, 600 and under mainly. I wish this 308 would shoot that well, it's getting bedded here soon as I get to it.

I'll email you my number.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.