Mercury Recoil Reducer & Butt Pad

I have a 338 Edge with a Proof CF barrel and CF stock. Its a bit lighter than I want and the recoil is a bit much. It has a brake and my Smith recommended a mercury recoil reducer anywhere from 8 - 16 oz to be placed in the buttstock. Any recommendations on a weight? Never shot a rifle with one, so I don't know how much difference it will make. Also looking for suggestions on a butt pad that would make a difference on recoil. It has a Decelerator now which I like. Any thoughts are appreciated...

Weight is your friend when it comes to recoil. What muzzle brake do you currently have on your rifle?

It's a radial brake by Mac's Gunworks. Have since found out my Manners has a foam core butt stock. I'm going to look at a reducer that fits in the forestock. Thanks for the replies...

It's a radial brake by Mac's Gunworks. Have since found out my Manners has a foam core butt stock. I'm going to look at a reducer that fits in the forestock. Thanks for the replies...
You should be able to glue one into even a foam buttstock as long as it is properly braced in place

My smith said he'd have to cut the pad off and he won't guarantee the reducer won't start tearing up the foam. He suggested inletting the forestock and put some weight in it. I have a lot of tungsten shot. He said we could glass that in and likely see less recoil without getting too crazy on the weight...

Just adding weight is not the same by a long shot as to what you will get with the suppressor. I would talk to the maker of the stock.
My smith said he'd have to cut the pad off and he won't guarantee the reducer won't start tearing up the foam. He suggested inletting the forestock and put some weight in it. I have a lot of tungsten shot. He said we could glass that in and likely see less recoil without getting too crazy on the weight...

Just adding weight is not the same by a long shot as to what you will get with the suppressor. I would talk to the maker of the stock.
Yes , talk to the stock maker. It would be to their advantage to come up with alternative designs that allow customization like placing recoil reducers in the stock. Maybe, instead of foam, a 3D computer printed insert that will accept the mercury suppressor and recoil pad of your choice.

I have a 338 Edge with a Proof CF barrel and CF stock. Its a bit lighter than I want and the recoil is a bit much. It has a brake and my Smith recommended a mercury recoil reducer anywhere from 8 - 16 oz to be placed in the buttstock. Any recommendations on a weight? Never shot a rifle with one, so I don't know how much difference it will make. Also looking for suggestions on a butt pad that would make a difference on recoil. It has a Decelerator now which I like. Any thoughts are appreciated...
If noise is not an issue, I will install an APA Gen 3 muzzle brake. It comes in two flavors, the fat and the little bastard... your choice. It's self timed and tunable. Don't waste the benefits of the carbon fiber.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.