Meplat Uniforming (what is the best way to get rid of burrs)

wildcat

Hey guys, what does everybody use to clean the burrs away after meplate uniforming. Any suggestions? Thanks, Wildcat.

Shouldn't be any burrs.....your cutter is dull or you are pushing to hard or something....I use the Tubb and don't have any burrs.
But to get rid of yours....a quick spin on some sandpaper....320 grit should do it.

Im still using the homemade tool I posted a while back, and it leaves a small burr too.... 0000 steelwool and its smooth as can be.

Im new at this: Do what chris say , take light curs and dont push let the cutter do the job. turn it a few times when it goes aginst the stop,
I cant feel any burs when I do it that way
Dave

you should only be removing about .oo7" - .01" of the meplat to clean up. Any more than that is unnecassary. No mater how sharp your cutter is you will still get a very small burr in the outside of the bullet that you can catch with your finger nail. There shouldn't be any need to push hard at all. Like others have suggested use 0000 steel wool, one light twist and burrs gone.

Thanks for all the help guys. Chris, I will take your advise and not push so hard. Thanks, Wildcat.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.